X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CLIFF
    Low Range
    • Oct 2008

Tires for my series 2a 88''

What size and what kind of tires do you guys use? I was thinking 33's will those work or would they be to big? Thanks, Cliff.
    1967 SERIES 2A 88
  • Jim-ME
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

I'm running 33X9.50X15 BFG ATs and love them to death. Other than they throw off the speedometer by about 12% they have been the perfect tire in my opinion.
    Jim

Comment

• KevinNY
      4th Gear
      • Oct 2006

If you do a search there is plenty of info as the question gets asked over and over.
      The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Comment

• Rat Patrol
        1st Gear
        • Nov 2006

i'm running 15" with snow tires but for the summer I switch to Michellin XCLs which are about 33"
        1973 Series III 88. "PHYDXO"

Comment

• rwollschlager
          5th Gear
          • Sep 2007

33's should clear fine with a set of parabolics, (maybe a good set of stock springs too, not totally sure though.) If you have a 16" rim look for something in the 255/85/r16 range..which translates into 33x10. Im eyeballing a set to purchase this summer. Let us know how it works out!

-Rob
          ------------------------------------------------
          72 SIII 88
          67 SIIA 109
          82 SIII Stage 1 V8
          -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Comment

• TeriAnn
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

I'm running 255/85R16 BFG Mudterrains (I like the fact they say Made in USA). BFG specs them as 33.3" dia. Min rim width is 6.5" so you're looking at either wolf (6.5") or Disco I steel wheels (7") to keep in manufacturer's spec.

I was slowly setting my truck up to clear 35" tyres when I discovered that 33's were the tallest I could go and still get easily into my truck in an A line skirt. So it looks like 33's are my max size since I think side steps are first things ripped off on any interesting trail. And no I don't wear A lines on the trail. But I do around home and the TR3 prefers to stay inside when it is rainy out.
            -

Teriann Wakeman_________
            Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• CLIFF
              Low Range
              • Oct 2008

Thanks for all the info guys I should be buying some in a couple days, I haven't made a decision yet. My Rover is bare aluminum right now I'm thinking about painting it tan with black rims. Do you guys think that would look good?
              1967 SERIES 2A 88

Comment

• bmohan55
                4th Gear
                • Sep 2008

I think bare aluminum would look kinda cool...sorta like the anti-Deloren...back to the future!

BTW I have 235x85x16 mud terrains which measure up to about 32", looks right to me.

I don't have to worry about an A-line skirt (whatever that is) but if it gets much higher I may split my britches getting in.
                04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
                '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Comment

• brucejohn
                  2nd Gear
                  • Jul 2009

I think I saw a post of a 'burnished' aluminum finish once, it was cool. Black and tan would also look quite nice, sounds like an adult beverage. =)
                  1982 SIII 109 RHD petrol project.

Comment

• yorker
                    Overdrive
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by TeriAnn
                    I'm running 255/85R16 BFG Mudterrains (I like the fact they say Made in USA). BFG specs them as 33.3" dia. Min rim width is 6.5" so you're looking at either wolf (6.5") or Disco I steel wheels (7") to keep in manufacturer's spec.

Or the other 6.5" LR rims, ANR1534 would be easiest to get today- from Vass or off a NAS 110 that went to Wolf rims.

1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• TeriAnn
                      Overdrive
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by yorker
                      Or the other 6.5" LR rims, ANR1534 would be easiest to get today- from Vass or off a NAS 110 that went to Wolf rims.
                      That's what I get for not paying enough attention to Defenders. I just assumed all Defender steel wheels were 6 inches wide. Oh well I obviously went out and played instead of doing my homework.

As far as black rims go, I like them. MY Discovery I steel wheels are semi gloss black. They go well with my truck's colour of British Racing Green.
                      -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                      Flagstaff, AZ.

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• yorker
                        Overdrive
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by TeriAnn
                        That's what I get for not paying enough attention to Defenders. I just assumed all Defender steel wheels were 6 inches wide. Oh well I obviously went out and played instead of doing my homework.
                        It isn't just Defender rims-543384, 569204, 569203 are all 6.5" wide Series rims. 569204 later became the ANR1534:

ANR 1534 is the later metric version, sized as 6.5L x 16 x 20.6, and equates to the earlier 569204, which is sized as having a 13/16" offset.

13/16" = 20.6mm

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• TeriAnn
                          Overdrive
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by yorker
                          It isn't just Defender rims-543384, 569204, 569203 are all 6.5" wide Series rims. 569204 later became the ANR1534:
                          Ok so I just didn't not do my homework, I obviously played hooky from school the entire time they were discussing post Series II wheels and made it back to school just as they were finishing up with the Disco I steel wheel lecture. Geeezzzz Caught playing hooky instead of diligently studying my late steel wheel specs.

sigh

Oh well, I glad someone went to class those days and paid attention to the lecture.
                          -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                          Flagstaff, AZ.

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• yorker
                            Overdrive
                            • Nov 2006

I don't have to worry about an A-line skirt (whatever that is) but if it gets much higher I may split my britches getting in.

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

Working...