PDA

View Full Version : Installing Lamp Guards

Bouteloua
02-23-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm a new owner of a 72 Series 2. She previously had a collision with a deer - not too much damage other than leaving the driver's side amber L833 lens shattered. I have now replaced the lens and since those lenses aren't cheap, I wanted to mount lamp guards on the front.

I purchased the lamp guards, but have been gun-shy about installing them. Anybody have recommendations? (And very specific recs are appreciated - assume I'm ignorant.) What mounting screws work best? Rubber washers? Thanks!

kevin-ct
02-23-2010, 06:54 AM
The lamp guards will not help the lamp assy from being damaged if you hit a deer.

To install the guards, I would just center the guard over the lamps and mark the holes and drill.
I then would use paint to touch up the bare aluminum , use some ss nuts and bolts to secure the guards.

Andrew IIA
02-23-2010, 07:56 AM
The lamp guards will not help the lamp assy from being damaged if you hit a deer.
I'd say that would depend on the particular lamp guards.... and perhaps the deer/vehicle velocity.

To install the guards, I would just center the guard over the lamps and mark the holes and drill.
I then would use paint to touch up the bare aluminum , use some ss nuts and bolts to secure the guards
Agreed. That's what I did :thumb-up:

TedW
02-23-2010, 08:20 AM
These are the original lamp guards, which you may or my not have. I cut a few squares out of each (symetrically) so the guards would fit over the big lenses, which stick out the bottoms a bit but are otherwise protected. A rubber bumper on each end keeps everything tight.

You may be able to bend the aftermarket guards to make them fit, but I couldn't do that satisfactorally with these guards.

Fell free to PM me for other photos.

kevin-ct
02-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Here are some photos of my truck that I just purchased yesterday.

I'm not sure who make these lamp guards.

thixon
02-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Kevin-ct,

!) nice truck, congrats

2) Why in the world did you sell your Morgan?

TedW
02-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Here are some photos of my truck that I just purchased yesterday.

I'm not sure who make these lamp guards.

I'd rather have done mine without cutting them (like yours) but couldn't figure out a good way to do it.

On your guards, are the tabs curved on the ends? Is the galvanizing on kind of thick? If yes to both you probably have originals and the PO figured out a way to make them fit - good for him (and you).

Andrew IIA
02-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Yes, great looking truck. Love the roof rack. Silly me I didn't read your orig. post incorrectly and so figured that we were talking about lamp guards for the side/turn lights only, not the headlights (my bad). Enjoy your new ride !

kevin-ct
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Kevin-ct,

!) nice truck, congrats

2) Why in the world did you sell your Morgan?

I sold both of my Morgan +8's to pay for the Mortgage. I haven't worked since Jan 08

I still have one Morgan, she is not for sale. She turns 6 in two weeks. :D

As for the Series 2a, I'm going to repair what need to done and resell it. Or, I may sell my Show truck Series 3.

Bouteloua
02-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Great- thanks for the quick replies.

I have new Rovers North Lamp Guards.

Yes, I know the guards won't defend against another deer collision, but I don't want to break the pricey L833 lens doing something else dumb.

And, Kevin-CT, who built that awesome roof rack? And what year Series is it? It looks a lot like mine.

kevin-ct
02-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Great- thanks for the quick replies.

I have new Rovers North Lamp Guards.

Yes, I know the guards won't defend against another deer collision, but I don't want to break the pricey L833 lens doing something else dumb.

And, Kevin-CT, who built that awesome roof rack? And what year Series is it? It looks a lot like mine.

I'm not sure, it's a one owner truck so maybe the PO did.

It's a 1970, 2a, 77k miles. I not going to keep it. it needs some hydraulic work and I was going to sell it. However, my shop is full of customer cars that need to get done.

jgkmmoore
02-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Noticed Ted W (and many others) using guards on tail lights. Just curious if you've ever backed into a deer ? If so, how were you going fast enuf to smack a deer in reverse? Did the deer giggle, or yell 'ouch'? It's such a gas to imagine a Landy backing up that fast..........what a visual.
Do rear guards come in a 'snack pack' WITH the front guards when you buy them? or do ya choose to buy the rear ones? If you have them, do you recall them saving your tail light lenses? or do they just sorta be sure the glass/plastic lens doesn't fall to the ground if you back into a tree? I've always assumed the front guards were to prevent headlight breakage from stones rather than deer, and that was what required the expense. I too assume that we aren't discussing rhinos, elephants, chimps, 'gators or horse/zebras? Folks from those areas seem to just throw caution to the wind, and go 'Commando'. It's late in the day....better quit before anyone finds out where I live.:D:eek::eek::eek::eek:

TedW
02-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Noticed Ted W (and many others) using guards on tail lights. Just curious if you've ever backed into a deer ? If so, how were you going fast enuf to smack a deer in reverse? Did the deer giggle, or yell 'ouch'? It's such a gas to imagine a Landy backing up that fast..........what a visual.
Do rear guards come in a 'snack pack' WITH the front guards when you buy them? or do ya choose to buy the rear ones?:D:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Your comments are good natured and taken in the spirit intended.

I put the cages on the back for two reasons:

1) Rear lenses get broken quite easily because they stick out (I've provided others on this site with replacement lenses for this very reason). You can back into stuff and people can bump into you. The lenses on my truck are very pricey (a new 4" amber just went for $65 on ebay) if available at all.

2) The cages make my truck look wicked butch.

Oh, they are only sold in pairs.

scott
02-25-2010, 09:24 AM
.... It's such a gas to imagine a Landy backing up that fast..........what a visual.
....:D:eek::eek::eek::eek:

rent and watch "the god's must be crazy II" to see a beautiful example of reverse being used to it's fullest

crankin
02-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Your comments are good natured and taken in the spirit intended.

...(a new 4" amber just went for $65 on ebay) if available at all.

That auction made me want to sell the six that I have!!

stomper
02-25-2010, 10:51 AM
I have them on the back of my truck, mainly because the PO put them on. I can see how they will be handy once I install the rear access ladder to the roof rack though. One slip of the boot, and crack! $65 dollars please. I also find they hold a beer bottle or coffee cup quite well, when I need both hands during loading/unloading my sissy dog. (130lb Bernese Mountain Dog)