PDA

View Full Version : Series vs my Disco

bmohan55
02-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Couple years ago my fan belt broke on the Disco going thru the "Big Tunnel" under Boston on a Friday night while on vacation. Dealer recently installed the belt incorrectly at the 45,000 mile service and burned up the the power steering pump which broke the belt and over heated the engine. I didn't get it back from the Boston dealer until the following Wednesday evening, ruining our vacation.

Last night going home from work my fan belt broke on the Series. I carry extras and tools (of course) and in 20 minutes I was back on the road. It may be slow but it gets me where I need to go, and when it has problems I can fix them....gotta love these things!

LaneRover
02-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Helllloooooo if you had carried a spare power steering pump, spare, belt, tools, orange cones, coolant and the instructions on how to correctly put in a serpentine belt your vacation wouldn't have been ruined!:D

Jeff Aronson
02-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Your story with the Disco reminds me of the time back in the early 90's that I traveled from work on Cape Cod to Boston's Logan Airport for another assignment. My II-A sat in traffic in the tunnel that runs under Boston Harbor and suffered vapor lock. It would not start, blocking traffic quite effectively. It was an unnerving experience!

Within a minute a tow truck had appeared and without any dicussion, pulled me out to a pull-off strip just outside the tunnel. As this was before cellphones, all I could do was guess at the problem. The heat when I raised the hood let me guess at the problem. I soaked a t shirt with water and wrapped it around the base of the carb, and waited a few minutes. The car then started up and got me to the airport.

There, I discovered that the traffic conditions had delayed many flights, including my own, and I was able to fly off to my work destination later that evening.

Jeff

stomper
02-25-2010, 10:45 AM
That is a truly awesome story Jeff. As we drive through life with our Ipods, cell phones, A/C, and GPS Navigation systems, I think we forget that the journey is just as exciting as the destination.

I see people on the side of the road with a flat tire, waiting for a tow truck, because they don't know how to change it themselves. I never want to be one of those people. And that is why I love my Land Rover!

galen216
02-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Last night going home from work my fan belt broke on the Series. I carry extras and tools (of course) and in 20 minutes I was back on the road. It may be slow but it gets me where I need to go, and when it has problems I can fix them....gotta love these things!

When I left MAR last year my radiator was so packed with mud the truck was running warmer than usual. Fifteen minutes from home the original 1974 water pump let go from working hard. I drove the next 15 minutes home on the edge of red in the gauge and virtually empty on coolant. Put in a new water pump and has run fine ever since. Do that in a Disco.

brucejohn
02-25-2010, 03:05 PM
This thread echoes the reason I wanted a Series Land Rover. As much as I love the defenders and assume I will some day own one, the series is simple. Even a non mechanic like myself can understand every system on the series. I don't have a shop and most of the work I do has me laying in the dirt. Few vehicles lend themselves to that kind of environment.

To paraphrase NickDawson: I love my series rover...

SafeAirOne
02-25-2010, 09:12 PM
...There, I discovered that the traffic conditions had delayed many flights, including my own, and I was able to fly off to my work destination later that evening.

Do you mean that they held flights because all the departing passengers were stuck in a traffic jam in the Callahan Tunnel due to some old broken down "Jeep", or was it air traffic delays? :)

When I owned my Discovery, I found it difficult to get any component costing less than $200 to fail.

Dashface
02-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Crossing my fingers... Since I have both Disco and Series II :thumb-up:

I have to say that the Disco has so far never broken down. Little things have broken, but never has it ever stopped running.

The SII has broken down an untold number of times - but every time I was able to fix it and get home again.

So - I like 'em both :)

BackInA88
02-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Crossing my fingers... Since I have both Disco and Series II :thumb-up:

I have to say that the Disco has so far never broken down. Little things have broken, but never has it ever stopped running.

The SII has broken down an untold number of times - but every time I was able to fix it and get home again.

So - I like 'em both :)

Same here!!:thumb-up:

Steve

bmohan55
02-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Same here!!:thumb-up:

Steve

don't get me wrong...I love the Disco also. The only time she left us stranded was100% due to Dealer error, they screwed up the 45K service and overtightened the belt. Land Rover Roadside assistence covered "most" of our costs, going beyond the $750 maximum (Boston is VERY expensive!)

The fact that the wife loves her Disco so much and won't allow me to "take it playing" anymore was the rational for my Series purchase.

ivarra
02-26-2010, 08:50 AM
The fact that the wife loves her Disco so much and won't allow me to "take it playing" anymore was the rational for my Series purchase.

Sure, blame the wife. I wonder how may other spouses are out there not knowing that they are the reason we purchased our series :D When my wife said she would never drive it if I bought one, I thought 'OK then, I have to get one'. So yes, its her fault too.

Ivar

stomper
02-26-2010, 12:27 PM
My wife claims she will never drive my series either. I have a feeling that will change this summer though. Once the top is off, and the weather is warm, I will probably lose it, until it needs gas again. :(

kbar-04
03-04-2010, 03:45 PM
I've been fairly lucky I guess, my 99 Disco I has never broken down or caused me trouble and Ive worked that poor truck to death. My series III has had some minor issues but has never broken down on me. The series is my favorite though. I live in Amish country and have even had Amish farmers swivel their heads to look at it as I drive around..

MJL
03-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Don't have a Disco but I do have a Series III and a Range Rover Classic. To be honest I have never driven more than 40 miles from home in the Series so touch wood I've never had any problems.

The Range Rover is my 4th. I've had one since 1989 and one time was the proud owner of 3 of them. In all that time I only had 2 breakdowns that I couldn't easily deal with. One was trivial - a burst hose but I was many miles from home without any tools. The second one was a blown transmission - doubt you could even drive a Series w/o a transmission :)

Bought a Range Rover Sport last November - so far it is behaving. Drove it from NH to Washington DC and back last week. Didn't miss a beat - a real joy to drive. Hate the thought of ioty breaking down though.

Mike
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE
1994 Range Rover Classiv SWB
1872 Series III 88 "GROMIT"

ivarra
03-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Mike
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE
1994 Range Rover Classiv SWB
1872 Series III 88 "GROMIT"

1872 Series? Show us some pics!

MJL
03-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Just feels like it in comparison to the RR Sport !!

MJL
03-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Trying again to send a picture

jimsshuman
03-07-2010, 10:53 AM
i love the thought of the amish farmers lusting over the series!!!

siiirhd88
03-07-2010, 01:05 PM
The wife has her own RHD 109, but its equipped with a V8, 5 speed and disc brakes. She doesn't have any problem driving a normal Series, either.

Our local Amish always wave when we are driving one of the Series trucks, but never wave if we are driving the Disco or one of the other cars. Maybe the Series look 'plain', or more likely they just remember the truck...

Bob
'96 Disco SE7
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8