PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Brake Recondition / Drum Removal

oestlarsen
02-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi guys,
Yes, tub is still off :-( since I await friend's help w/ welding the new outriggers on, but as I work through the areas I have access to - I am going to give my parking brake a little love.

I removed all 5 or 6 bolts from the drum (one was severely stripped) and the drum turns freely. However, I cannot get it off - and unlike regular brake drums, I can't get good access all around for hammering w/ rubber mallet.

Any tricks to removing the drum? Anything to watch for?

Thanks!!
Carl

crankin
02-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Carl, on my SIII there are only four bolts on the tranny drum. They hold the rear drive train to it. Once you remove those four bolts you should be able to slide the drum off.

The left hand side of the brake is a tension bolt (i think the manual calls it a "cone") that you could try to adjust. The right hand side can be removed all together by sliding out three clips and then pushing it thru. That might help.

JackIIA
02-25-2010, 01:19 PM
I never had any real resistance when I pulled the ebrake drum, but then again alot of oil blow through was found inside the housing (basically rendering it useless).

What about taking brake cleaner spray can and an extension straw and spraying heavily between the brake anchor plate and the actual drum. Then use a steel hammer (lightly) on as much of the drum as you can. I would think that would do it. I'm not surprised a rubber mallet isn't helping much. Everytime I use that on a drum all I get is a rubber circle imprint on my forehead.

bmohan55
02-25-2010, 02:39 PM
This is a great article on replacing the handbrake drum & rear output shaft oil seal. You will have to sign in to view it but it's a great wedsite with LOTS of good info.

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php/71717-Replacing-the-handbrake-drum-rear-output-shaft-oil-seal-Series-models

Dumb question...do you have the handbrake on?

oestlarsen
02-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks guys - handbrake is not on, and I have oil leakage for sure too, part of why I am trying to get apart so I can clean and fix...
I will spray the crease where the drum hits the backing plate, and then try a REAL hammer :-)
Thanks!
Carl

oestlarsen
02-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Well - as Gen. Custer would say - I have good news and bad news!

Good:
The drum is off. The trick was brute force - combined w/ spraying generous amounts of brake cleaner around it. There were many many years of oil/gum holding her in place.

Bad:
The inside reveals (as I would have thought) why brake works about 0%. Oil caked all over, slippery pads, and goopy oil residue. Also, the piston barely moves - so the pads are not even being pushed out, and even if they were, they would meet an oil skating rink....

Time to read up on that article - and prepare for changing the oil catcher or whatever that thing was...

Thanks guys!
Carl