PDA

View Full Version : Tuffy Box Question

siii8873
02-25-2010, 07:47 PM
What is everyones opinion on tuffy boxes (center seat versions)
2nd With the Tuffy box how do you check your overdrive level?

redmondrover
02-25-2010, 08:39 PM
We mounted ours with spring loaded pins on each corner so we can either remove it completely or rotate it forward to get access to the transmission. We had mounts for the spring pins welded onto the seat belt mounts and the center seat rails. I don't have pictures handy now, but will post some later.

rwollschlager
02-25-2010, 09:55 PM
our two 109s both have tuffy boxes and i love them, prove to be very handy. to mount them we just removed the middle seat frames and dropped the tuffy box in place with nothing really holding it down other than its own weight. To check the overdrive oil we just life the box out of place. We have not had any problems with them sliding forward.

EDIT: on second thought that defeats the purpose of the tuffy box in that someone could just open the door and walk away with the entire box...i should fix that...

-Rob

Momo
02-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Mine's almost 15 years old. It has been exposed to weather with the top off the truck, salt air from living at the beach, and many off road trips. The finish is still intact and the padded armrest is a little faded but otherwise perfect. The lock is still smooth, no issues. One of the best comfort/storage upgrades you can do.

I mounted mine using sheet metal screws that would fit thru the holes in the bottom. I used some perforated, flat steel bar stock to clamp the Tuffy to the seatbox from underneath. When the screws and bolts are tightened, the bar stock pinches the Tuffy snug against the seatbox. That eliminated any drilling modification. The Tuffy itself is the only thing covering the access hole in the seatbox center. Kind of a pain to pull out and check the OD oil.

If you were ambitious, you could mount the Tuffy to the access panel, with small locks through the bottom, the same kind as on the Tuffy lid itself. That way all you have to do is unlock the locks and lift out the Tuffy and panel.

I don't think I'm explaining this well. Maybe I should take some pics.

lrover109
03-03-2010, 06:12 PM
I mounted mine in my 5 door using a hinge attached to the bottom rear of the box and mounted it where the middle seatbelt had attached. I used the strap from the old seat bottom to hold it down in the front and I put two rubber "feet" to keep it from rattling. Can e-mail you a few pics if wou want

BackInA88
03-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Well I don't have a Tuffy box but one made of aluminum that I bought from a guy who was making them on the G&R site.

I mounted mine in my 88 right to the center seat box cover.
Than I just flip the latch and slide it forward and lift it out.
And it also doesn't bounce around on rough roads.

Steve

galen216
03-04-2010, 07:03 AM
If you were ambitious, you could mount the Tuffy to the access panel, with small locks through the bottom, the same kind as on the Tuffy lid itself. That way all you have to do is unlock the locks and lift out the Tuffy and panel.

This is what I did. The PO also had the box just sitting there and I didn't feel comfortable with that. I mounted mine to the access panel. If I wanted I could put a padlock on the hinge at the front of the seat base and it would be secure. But if I want to check levels simply remove it, do my checks and put it back in. Just don't have it loaded with heavy stuff b/c it is heavy to lift over the seat and if you do put a radio in use quick connects somewhere on the wires.