PDA

View Full Version : Tail Door Lock Issue

jtlyles
03-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Ok folks, I have skimmed over the previous posts on the forum regarding problems with the tail door lock mechanism. I haven't been able to resolve the issue on my 2002 D2. I'm fairly sure I need to replace the motor, but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

The problem is that the tail door will not unlock using either the front dash unlock button or the wireless unlock button on the key. I have to climb over the seat and manually unlock it using the interior door handle. Additionally, the tail door will only lock if I "superlock" the car using the key (push the lock button twice) or manually push down the sill button on the tail door. It does not lock if I try locking the car with the front dash lock button or if I lock the car with the wireless key (only pressing the lock button once).

I have taken out the latch and motor assembly, cleaned everything off and lubed it well. After I reinstalled it I can hear the "clicking" noises from the motor but the lock still does not unlock. Is there something I am missing or should I just replace the motor and latch assembly.

Thanks,

James

Mjollnir
03-01-2010, 08:05 PM
I have a '99 Disco II with the same problem. I used Waxoyl 120-4 before suffering the same fate as you did- lots of clicking noise, but no locking, and if the taildoor is locked, you become a gymnast climbing over seats to use the interior latch to unlock it. Try that in a snowstorm with boots on.
You are not missing anything. The problem is the actuator (motor). Once that goes, you need a new one. There is nothing else you can do. The latch is probably fine, but use the Waxoyl 120-4 on it, and use the red extension to really get in there and spray it to cover all the latch parts.
Save yourself any more trouble and purchase the actuator. I have to do the same thing, but only use Genuine Land Rover parts. If it lasted 8 years (11 in my case), stay with what fits and works. I'm sure Rovers North can help you with that one.
By the way, DO NOT USE SUPERLOCK with the failed actuator! That disengages the entire lock mechanism, and if that gets stuck, you won't be able to open the taildoor at all.
Good luck to you.