PDA

View Full Version : upgrading ignition on a series any thoughts?

glbft1
03-02-2010, 04:29 PM
greetings,
Thinking about installing the pertronix(sp) how does this make the rig run any reasons not to do it??

Jeff Aronson
03-02-2010, 05:10 PM
I had a Petronix unit in my "newer" II-A, Greg. It came with the car. There's no question that the car ran quite well with the inside-the-distributor installation (I've seen ads for Petronix interior plates as well as a complete distributor).

However, when the unit failed - I think because I left the key on for an hour while trying to redo the rear light wiring - the car would not run. I swapped out the points plate and made it work again, and have left the points in there.

Whether in Land Rover or other British car conversations, the Petronix or similar conversion is highly regarded. You'll never have to adjust, clean and/or replace points again. And your ignition is always getting the right spark because the unit replaces the function of the points.

But, when they fail, there's no fallback except to have either a points plate or a replacement distributor on hand. So I have continued with the Lucas points distributor on the QM I, as I did in the '90's when the unit on my Spitfire failed, too. It may be a rare occurrence, so it has its merits - but it's happened too often to me.

I'm sure that other owners have much better experiences than me because Petronix sells a lot of units every year.

Jeff

jac04
03-02-2010, 07:41 PM
But, when they fail, there's no fallback except to have either a points plate or a replacement distributor on hand.
Or simply have another Pertronix unit on hand.

gudjeon
03-02-2010, 09:01 PM
I was a bit hesitant to put in a pertronix under the cap, but I am glad I did. Set it and forget it 3 years now.:thumb-up:

chester rides again
03-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Put a Pertronix distributor in last fall, with a new coil and have never looked back. I had to replace all the spark plug cables after I got a tingle when touching one. Go for it. It's one of those nice modern things that doesn't ruin the Series.

glbft1
03-03-2010, 06:32 AM
what should the coil be changed to if I upgrade

Andrew IIA
03-03-2010, 08:01 AM
My Pertronix unit has been in 5 - 6 years now; works wonderfully with original-type coil :thumb-up:

jac04
03-03-2010, 09:37 AM

I went ahead and got the epoxy filled Pertronix coil made for use with the Ignitor ignition. I figured that they were designed to work together and there would be no warranty issues if something happened.

Mudtub
03-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Try this guy he set me up with everything http://www.coupers-cars.com/Pertronix%20Performance%20Products.htm

ScottT
03-04-2010, 09:13 PM
I've run a Pertronix for years with any issues. I do carry a set of points & gap tool, just in case.

High-end upgrade which I suspect some will see as sacrilegious:

http://www.malloryperformance.com/Pr...Search=4732001 (http://www.malloryperformance.com/ProductDetails.aspx?MajID=530&MinID=5327&productID=2308&txtSearch=4732001)

Jim-ME
03-05-2010, 05:23 AM
I had a DiscoTech replacement distributor for 3 years and was very happy with it. I do know as Jeff mentioned never leave your ignition on without the car running with any on these units as it will burn them up. I have read that if a Petronix unit is going to fail it does so in a short period of time. All in all pointless ignition was one of the best things I've done to my to my Landy short of the diesel.
Jim

ybt502r
03-05-2010, 07:18 PM
As with the others...installed Pertronix two years ago and have had a smooth running engine since. As it gets cold in Canada (and with an unheated garage), I am all for something that allows me to avoid winter engine tinkering. I think - were it to fail or myself to wreck it by leaving the ignition on - I'd still replace with another one rather than go back to the points.

kevkon
03-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Anyone running the Crane XR optical ignition?