PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought my Landy!

widerberg
03-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Hi, All:

Well, today I rounded out my car "collection" and towed home a sickly 1973 Land Rover SWB. It's been a dream of mine to own a Series Land Rover since I was a little kid, so I'm overjoyed that I finally own one!

She's going to need quite a lot done to her, starting off with all new tires--what's on there is a mixture of sizes and brands, and they're all dry rotted and unable to hold air to boot. The rear crossmember looks good, though, and the frame "appears" to only have surface rust. There are a few bits missing here and there, but overall I'm incredibly happy with what I've gotten. Hopefully temps will warm up a bit here soon so I can give her a good bath and scrubbing. I'm already making lists of parts that I need, and have even ordered a few things already. Once she's cleaned up, I'll try to assess the frame a bit more closely. I'm hoping to wash, wire wheel, wash some more, POR15, then topcoat the frame with a black tractor paint. Hopefully that will keep the rust pixies away for a long while.

Not sure if she came with benches in the back or jump seats, but I'm leaning toward benches on either side. (Will a bench clear the fuel filler neck on the passenger side?)

Anyways, here are pics. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute as I restore her. I've also got a '76 Spitfire and a '72 XJ6 that I'm slowly restoring, so I'm definitely getting in over my (financial) head at the moment, but the price and proximity to my house of the Landy were things I couldn't pass up.

http://www.widerberginc.com/cars/wp-content/uploads/DSCN6238.JPG

http://www.widerberginc.com/cars/wp-content/uploads/DSCN6255.JPG

http://www.widerberginc.com/cars/wp-content/uploads/DSCN6260.JPG

http://www.widerberginc.com/cars/wp-content/uploads/DSCN6274.JPG

:thumb-up:

crankin
03-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Congratus! Welcome to the family!

Hi, All:

Will a bench clear the fuel filler neck on the passenger side?

Yes they will.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/SqiBVl8WdAI/AAAAAAAAAgU/xt_E_YqQ098/IMG_4992%20%28Small%29.jpg

On another note. It looks like you have all four of the 4" amber lights (the turn signals). These are VERY hard to find and can fetch a pretty price on ebay ($50-$60 each)...so, be gentle with them. ;)

kevin-ct
03-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Nice truck, Your neighbors will love you :D

rwollschlager
03-04-2010, 09:39 PM
looking good! that truck was on the british barnfinds website right? If the frame is ok and your looking for rustproofing, go for waxoyl or something similar that can get inside the frame, because they tend to rot from the inside out.
good luck with your new project!
-Rob

widerberg
03-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi, thanks for the welcome and advice, everyone!

Rwollschlager, I actually found her on the local Craigslist. The seller had given up trying to sell her outright and was wanting to trade for a golf cart or ATV. I had neither, so we settled on a price and the rest is history. In terms of the waxoyl, would I need to remove any interal rust first (dipping the frame?) before application, or just squirt it in there on top of whatever is inside the frame?

Crankin, awesome! That makes me feel a lot better. I really like the look of the benches, so I'm glad they'll fit. Incidentally, is that filler neck cowl/cover available anywhere? I searched on RN and couldn't find one (although, admittedly, I'm not even sure what to call it). I'm noticing the "little" things are quickly adding up, so I'm going to be sure to take really good care of those amber lenses! :)

widerberg
03-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Nice truck, Your neighbors will love you :D

Kevin, funny you should say that :D My neighbor's wife came out as the Landy was being unloaded from the flatbed and was actually really interested in it. She even volunteered her oldest son to help "work on it." My oldest, who'll be 18 on the 24th, will barely move from his Xbox, so I may have to take her up on her offer.

Now, my OWN wife, that's a different story. Landy in theory isn't exactly the same as Landy in reality. So, she's, er, adjusting to it.

oestlarsen
03-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Congrats, and that's my sister truck (as a Ser III)!
Mine sat in a field for 5 years and looked very much like yours (come to think of it, still does :-)

I recommend immediate top removal (you are in Florida) - and I would keep that color intact. It takes years to get it to that point!

Carl

4flattires
03-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Incidentally, is that filler neck cowl/cover available anywhere? I searched on RN and couldn't find one...

I saw these in the clearance section, although you did not mention they were missing, they are at the other end of the tub.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-16729-early-iia-wire-cover-plates-pair.aspx

The point being, perhaps our hosts have them in an undocumented pile 'o parts. Give them a ring! Otherwise, I'll bet one of our other regular posters will chime in with a solution.

Welcome aboard! Glad you found your Rover was a chick magnet with the neighbor. :thumb-up:

Nice find.

Jeff

crankin
03-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Crankin, awesome! That makes me feel a lot better. I really like the look of the benches, so I'm glad they'll fit. Incidentally, is that filler neck cowl/cover available anywhere? I searched on RN and couldn't find one (although, admittedly, I'm not even sure what to call it). I'm noticing the "little" things are quickly adding up, so I'm going to be sure to take really good care of those amber lenses! :)

The little things do add up! Just make sure that you do not get in over your head.

The waxoyl can be applied with minimal surface preparation. Clean it if you can.

Our host probably has the gas cowl…but there are some other sites out there that have parts for our series…ex. Rovers Down South and Rovah Farm.

Most of us have sites, web albums, etc...and should all be experienced enough to offer suggestions....
For example...here is my rebuild that is driving my girl crazy (she thinks she'll never get that wedding ring because of my SIII):
http://picasaweb.google.com/clint.rankin/1972SeriesIII88LandRover?feat=directlink

amcordo
03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
And make sure that when you make your own album you throw in a few pictures of girls in there to get Clint to pay attention. Otherwise he won't look at the thread...

The little things do add up! Just make sure that you do not get in over your head.

The waxoyl can be applied with minimal surface preparation. Clean it if you can.

Our host probably has the gas cowl…but there are some other sites out there that have parts for our series…ex. Rovers Down South and Rovah Farm.

Most of us have sites, web albums, etc...and should all be experienced enough to offer suggestions....
For example...here is my rebuild that is driving my girl crazy (she thinks she'll never get that wedding ring because of my SIII):
http://picasaweb.google.com/clint.rankin/1972SeriesIII88LandRover?feat=directlink

bmohan55
03-05-2010, 01:07 PM
...For example...here is my rebuild that is driving my girl crazy (she thinks she'll never get that wedding ring because of my SIII):

...and mine's getting ready to give her's back for the same reason!

amcordo
03-05-2010, 03:08 PM
On another note. It looks like you have all four of the 4" amber lights (the turn signals). These are VERY hard to find and can fetch a pretty price on ebay ($50-$60 each)...so, be gentle with them. ;)

For real? I am taking all four of mine off my truck this weekend to replace them with LED ones. I feel like I could be potentially rich!

crankin
03-05-2010, 03:21 PM
And make sure that when you make your own album you throw in a few pictures of girls in there to get Clint to pay attention. Otherwise he won't look at the thread...

Brunettes....

For real? I am taking all four of mine off my truck this weekend to replace them with LED ones. I feel like I could be potentially rich!

Keep messing around with your truck and you're gonna ruin the magic combination...heed my warning! Tailgates, LEDs, wiring harness...fancy pants, show off amcordo.

On another note...
I'll take those 4" ambers off your hands, amcordo, for $50.

czenkov
03-06-2010, 09:05 AM
and I would keep that color intact. It takes years to get it to that point!

Carl

Thats beautiful! I am with Carl - leave that paint alone. I wish mine had that patina!