PDA

View Full Version : Fitting on a spin on oil filter adapter

usadventureracing
03-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Ok, I know is it on here but, but cannot find it. Does someone have the directions to install a spin on oil filter adapter. I know many have installed it backwards and I want to make sure I do not this.

Thanks in advance,

Brett

TedW
03-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Ok, I know is it on here but, but cannot find it. Does someone have the directions to install a spin on oil filter adapter. I know many have installed it backwards and I want to make sure I do not this.

Thanks in advance,

Brett

Which one do you have?

usadventureracing
03-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Looks like the part number is RTC 3184...thanks

badvibes
03-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Looks like the part number is RTC 3184...thanks

Sorry but I don't know what style the part # is for. Does it look like this

http://i46.tinypic.com/20fq7ag.jpg

Or is it a 1 piece adapter like in this pic?

http://i48.tinypic.com/9aweoh.jpg

The one piece pictured orients the sending unit towards the front of the motor in the proper orientation. My bud scott has this style adapter. His is also stamped with the words "top" and "front" which help orient the unit. Pretty straight forward. On my Series I have the 2 piece style. I think it's referred to as a "pancake" adapter. Proper orientation with mine using a Fram PH8 filter has the sending unit oriented more towards the rear of the motor.

usadventureracing
03-05-2010, 06:07 PM
I have the 1 piece...thanks

TJR
06-28-2010, 11:10 PM
I also a have a 1 piece adaptor I'm considerng using but there are a few things I'd like to undertand.

1.) why does the oil sender port in the cast OE filter assy have a check ball? or is it more of a surge protector?

2.) My series III has 2 senders. I assume one is for the low oil pressure light and the other for a gage. (I need t look back at my wiring diagram).. but oddly the car never had an oil pressure gage ??

...Talbot

printjunky
06-29-2010, 12:27 AM
On my 74, the oil light comes from the switch (sensor) on the filter, and the gauge has a separate fitting (just removed it Saturday, and already I can't picture where it is, I'll look tomorrow).

A white/brown tracer wire should go from the switch on the oil filter (sensor - which is grounded by attachment to the block via the filter/adapter) to the 9-pin connector, then into the main harness, through the firewall, and to the dash warning light.