PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about batteries

jcasteel
03-11-2010, 10:58 PM
I removed the oil bath air filter and the battery holder. Now I'm considering what I want in its place. First question is battery size. Probably original was a group 27 but I'm considering Group 24. I use the rover locally and I don't have high demands other than halogen headlights. I haven't been able to find a plastic battery box that fits in the space but I have only looked at WalMart.

Anyone done this; gone to a 24 size battery?
What are the requirements for a stock Series IIa concerning the battery? CCA / AH

Has anyone found a plastic box that fits between the fender and the radiator?

Thanks

JayGoss
03-11-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure what cca the car requires- I've had really good luck with Odyssey yellow tops. As far as a battery holder goes you could cut & grind down the stock battery holder to remove the air cleaner bath portion- I've seen that done a few times and it looks good and works.

jcasteel
03-11-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm going to keep that unmolested in case I want to return to stock. I think that I can make a pretty decent tiedown if I can't find a box. But I have to admit that I've thought about what you suggested.

scott
03-12-2010, 08:57 AM
i removed mine and made another out of 1" angle iron. bolts to the platform just like the old one. holds 2 optima red tops end to end. well it would if i measure twice cut once. i still ne to add an inch. i was measuring the base of the baterries forgeting the tops are a bit wider