X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcasteel
    Low Range
    • May 2007

Thinking about batteries

I removed the oil bath air filter and the battery holder. Now I'm considering what I want in its place. First question is battery size. Probably original was a group 27 but I'm considering Group 24. I use the rover locally and I don't have high demands other than halogen headlights. I haven't been able to find a plastic battery box that fits in the space but I have only looked at WalMart.

Anyone done this; gone to a 24 size battery?
    What are the requirements for a stock Series IIa concerning the battery? CCA / AH

Has anyone found a plastic box that fits between the fender and the radiator?

Thanks
  • JayGoss
    1st Gear
    • Nov 2006

I'm not sure what cca the car requires- I've had really good luck with Odyssey yellow tops. As far as a battery holder goes you could cut & grind down the stock battery holder to remove the air cleaner bath portion- I've seen that done a few times and it looks good and works.
    1960 Series II SWB
    1994 NAS D90 ST
    1963 SIIa SWB (sold)
    1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
    2000 Disco SII (sold)
    1995 RR Classic (sold)

Comment

• jcasteel
      Low Range
      • May 2007

I'm going to keep that unmolested in case I want to return to stock. I think that I can make a pretty decent tiedown if I can't find a box. But I have to admit that I've thought about what you suggested.

Comment

• scott
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

i removed mine and made another out of 1" angle iron. bolts to the platform just like the old one. holds 2 optima red tops end to end. well it would if i measure twice cut once. i still ne to add an inch. i was measuring the base of the baterries forgeting the tops are a bit wider
        '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
        '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
        '76 Spitfire 1500
        '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

Working...