PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a soft top

stomper
03-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Well, since we have reached the 50's here in Maine, I'm beginning to get anxious to fit a soft top to my IIa. I know the tailgate, hoop set and canvas are available new, but I was hoping to save a few dollars, and possibly find a used hoop set, tailgate, or maybe all three.

I know these are popular, and many who have them are not willing to part with them, but does anyone have a used set that they would be willing to sell? I'm in Central Maine, and would love to pick them up somewhere in the Northeast, but If they are available in other parts of the country, I guess shipping will work. PM me, or let me know if you are willing to part with any of these parts.

Cheers,
James

TedW
03-12-2010, 12:07 PM
James:

Once you get set up you should leave your soft top on year-round unless you run with a roof rack in winter.

I live in Falmouth and find the soft top to be warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, and quieter all year-round. JM$.02

Ted

stomper
03-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I may try that, as the rover is a 3rd vehicle, so while I drive it in the winter, only on nicer days. I have a great tropical top now, but the SHMBO wants the rover to be topless in the summer, yet wants some protection from the occasional rain storm.

Jim-ME
03-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I run my soft top year round but did add a fume curtain this winter. Although it wasn't much of a test this year I would recommend one to anyone who runs a soft top. I may know of a source of soft top parts but it will be a while before I see the person who owns them as he is a snow bird and won't be back for a little bit yet.
Jim

scott
03-12-2010, 02:29 PM
back in my college days, in order to continue that nasty habit of eating, i sold the top off my spitfire. drove a couple of winters with just a tauna cover which wasn't too bad when i was driving w/o a passenger

stomper
03-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks Jim, keep me posted when you get in touch with them, and if they are interestend in parting with any parts. Anyone else have some parts they want to sell?

NickDawson
03-16-2010, 11:25 AM
great thread - been thinking a lot about this lately... We live in the city and storage of the hard top during the summer is a challenge...and I've been looking at my hoop and stick set against the side of the house all winter (my neighbors love me :/ )... I still have high hopes of refurbishing my hard top, but I might try a full 12 months with the soft top and see how it does.

Any concerns about snow sitting on the soft top?

rbonnett
03-16-2010, 11:42 AM
I've run my soft top all winter here in Maine. Granted we never had more than a foot of snow at a time, unlike you more southern types - but I never saw any worrisome sagging or straining. I just took the broom to it when I was cleaning the rest of the snow off before driving. I got a ticket once years ago cuz snow was blowing off the top of my car.

usadventureracing
03-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I am looking for a hoop set ( for an 88) if anyone knows where I can get one. Thanks, Brett

stomper
03-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Hey! I'm first in line;)

usadventureracing
03-16-2010, 06:57 PM
I know you are in line first:D I just wanted to get it out to the forum that there are 2 of us looking for a soft top.......but actually I am only looking for a set of hoops for an 88.