PDA

View Full Version : 98 Discovery

RWMoore
03-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Hello everyone this is my first attemp at a post so if i mess up i'm sorry.

I own a 1998 Discovery, and i have been towning it behind trucks that i deliver across country for nearly 2 months. I have had no indication of any transmission problems until the other day when i disconnected from the truck to move it and it would not move i tried high range-low range and it would not move of course it will roll but will not move under its own power. My procedure for tow is transfer in netrual and main trans in netrual as well. is this the correct way or what could have happenend? Please help

Joey4420
03-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Per the manual if I remember correctly the only way to tow it is like towing a Semi... remove one driveshaft then do as you suggest.

scott
03-12-2010, 03:15 PM
i've been told and this is for a series not a disco, that flat towing is done w/ trsfr in neutral, gear box in 4th. not nccessary to disconnect prop shafts but that does cut down on some wear. do discos have a seperate overdrive? my series does and if it's in neutral it's a no go situation

RWMoore
03-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Disco does not have overdrive. I called the Land Rover Dealer and explained to him how i was towing and he said that it was ok for the procedures i was using but, did not know why it stopped pulling all at once.

RWMoore
03-12-2010, 04:04 PM
After i get it back from the shop my procedure will be to disconnect the front drive shaft and the rear as well before i tow.