PDA

View Full Version : Loud, repetitive bang-bang noise upon re-installing starter?

Rineheitzgabot
03-12-2010, 04:51 PM
I re-installed my rebuilt starter. Upon turning it over, there is a loud bam-bam noise with each revolution. After the truck started, the loud noise continued. I stopped it immediately, and thought I would ask you all what in the H3LL would cause this.

Why does every, single fix, have to be like this? Why can't simply encounter a problem, then replace part for said problem, and be done with it? Please don't answer these questions. I just wanted to complain for a second...

Thanks in advance.

-Gary

Nium
03-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Did the noise increase or stay the same once the engine started? Any thoughts on where on the Landy it's coming from? Maybe a rag got left on the radiator fan and it's smacking the radiator fan shroud when the engine's turned over. You've got a frightened varmit trapped in the seat toolbox that's trying to get out?

Cheers

Rineheitzgabot
03-12-2010, 09:34 PM
The noise sounded like it was coming from the bell housing. I could feel it in my feet. It sounded like someone tapping a hammer on the floor. It increased with the RPM's and did not get any louder once the engine fired.

Already looked for the obvious. I thought someone might know an obvious mistake I made like, the starter is turned 180 degrees, or some crazy Rover sh1t, that only the experienced know.

kevin-ct
03-12-2010, 09:43 PM
The noise sounded like it was coming from the bell housing. I could feel it in my feet. It sounded like someone tapping a hammer on the floor. It increased with the RPM's and did not get any louder once the engine fired.

Already looked for the obvious. I thought someone might know an obvious mistake I made like, the starter is turned 180 degrees, or some crazy Rover sh1t, that only the experienced know.

Was the starter broken and thats why you replaced it? Is it possible that a broken piece of starter may have fell into the bell housing?

Is the starter sitting flush on the engine?

Exhaust hitting the frame/body?

I've been working on these for a while, There is no simple fix.

Nium
03-12-2010, 11:38 PM
loose or broken motor mounts or tranny mounts?

Mercedesrover
03-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Again, don't go looking for problems that weren't there before, or away from the area you worked on.

1 - Truck ran fine
2 - Starter went bad
3 - Removed starter, had it rebuilt, put it back in
4 - Truck now makes noise in the starter area
Conclusion? It must be something with the starter!

My guess is one of your starter bolts is too long and hitting the flywheel? Pull the starter back out and take a look.

Terrys
03-13-2010, 06:25 AM
180 Degrees out makes no difference to the starter. As Jim says, pull it back out. All the way out. Now take your handcrank and start it. Noise still there? I doubt it.
I suspect Kevin or Jim are correct, either it's not tightend up square to the bellhousing, or you've got a long bolt into the flywheel, although it would have to be pretty long. Should be a stud/nut.

Rineheitzgabot
03-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Gentlemen,

As always, thanks for your help. I can't say how valuable this information is.

I thought about the studs. They are the ones I put in, so if they are the problem, I must have screwed them in too deep(?).

No broken pieces, exhaust is tight, etc.

I'm thinking the studs too.

Thanks again!

LaneRover
03-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Not knowing enough about starters to know if this is even possible. During the rebuild, is it possible that something got put back together incorrectly?

jgkmmoore
03-14-2010, 06:15 PM
That is what you hear if the starter 'hangs' in the flywheel after the engine starts...bangs like hell. Loosen the bolts, jiggle the starter(if it will move), center it well, and retighten bolts. Bump start the car to see if it happens without the starter.

Rineheitzgabot
03-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Problem solved.

Fortunately, the problem was not with the starter at all.:o Unfortunately, I didn't discover it until after I removed the starter all the way again, and replaced it. And even more unfortunate than that, it was the PTO on the Koenig front bumper winch; it was partially engaged, and making that POP, POP! noise. I am certain that the drive gear is smoked on it.:(

Apparently, while the vehicle stood inoperable, someone (probably me) pushed the lever in that engages the winch (only not completely). Oh well, I'll start looking for replacement parts.

Thanks for all of your input. I really do find it invaluable.

-Gary

jgkmmoore
03-15-2010, 03:22 PM
I'd much rather repair a starter than a Koenig Winch. Koenig Winch stores are pretty hard to find these days.Those ol' thangs are tough tho....may still be servicable by engaging completely. Glad you found it and it wasn't TOO nasty(eng./trans/xbox). Thanks for letting us know the outcome!
Regards-Jeff:thumb-up: