PDA

View Full Version : Series III lower dash preservation

Broadstone
03-13-2010, 08:05 AM
I am about to install a new lower dash (lower vent area). Since I am building this truck to survive anything mother nature or mankind can throw at it I need to know how to preserve the inside of this lower dash as best I can. Condensation buildup from the heat blowing through this area obviously takes its toll on the steel over time. I was thinking waxoyling the entire inside, Any other suggestions? Thanks!

kevin-ct
03-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Will waxoyling melt with the heat? not sure at what temp it would.

When I installed mine, I just touched up all the scratch's so it wont have any bare metal. If the last one lasted 35 years the new one should also.

KevinNY
03-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Just paint it, I think waxoyl would give off a stink with the heat blowing through there.

msggunny
03-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Just paint it, I think waxoyl would give off a stink with the heat blowing through there.

X2.

POR 15 it and the bulkhead where it mounts first maybe?

Broadstone
03-13-2010, 10:20 AM
I do agree with the heat and the smell so not a great idea to waxoyl. I guess epoxy primer and paint maybe. It is going onto a galvy bulkhead so I know that will stay rust free. After seeing how bad the original was on the inside I want to preserve this as much as possible.

amcordo
05-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Anyone know where I can find a lower dash assembly? Mine is rusted bad, and the rest of the parts come back from the galvanizer early next week so I need to hurry up and decide if I want to buy one or just go without it...

Jim-ME
05-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Have you tried RDS?
Jim

TJR
05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
I am about to install a new lower dash (lower vent area). Since I am building this truck to survive anything mother nature or mankind can throw at it I need to know how to preserve the inside of this lower dash as best I can. Condensation buildup from the heat blowing through this area obviously takes its toll on the steel over time. I was thinking waxoyling the entire inside, Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Good question.. Here's what I learned too.. http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7139

kevkon
05-13-2010, 09:34 AM
I recently had my SIII dash apart to recover. I found some surface rust, but nothing to extensive. As rust and corrosion are popular topics on the forum, I think it's important to remember that no coating will be an absolute form of protection against corrosion if there is an infiltration of moisture and no means for it to evaporate. What I'm saying is that when you encounter a situation where corrosion is present, don't think only in terms of coating the metal. Look to see if there is some way to increase the ability for any water/moisture to drain and for airflow to be increased.