PDA

View Full Version : Hub Seal Install - Part# RTC3510

crankin
03-15-2010, 11:21 PM
The PO had ordered the hub seal but never got around to installing it. So, I started on the job tonight. It looks like the old one is missing and from looking at the parts catalog, I can not really tell how it goes on.

Does this look right?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/S58FbvKCUQI/AAAAAAAAA88/1xJljZiGJW8/s800/IMG00104.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dcAzqvv_A6U/S58FbhrP2DI/AAAAAAAAA9A/Vvb7sdTjHwQ/s800/IMG00105.jpg

SafeAirOne
03-16-2010, 01:08 AM
Did you just set it on the spindle to show the direction you'll be installing it? if so, then yes, the direction seems to be correct. The side of the seal with the spring always goes toward the oil you are trying to contain.

Not sure what you're showing in the bottom photo, but the seal isn't sandwiched between the hub and the spindle like that. The seal is actually installed into the recess in the hub itself. If you don't see a recess, then the old seal is still in there.

Look at the back of the hub. There should be a similar seal pressed into the back of the hub. Remove this old one with a screwdriver (or an actual seal remover) taking care not to damage the hub, then press-fit the new one with some sealant around the circumference.

Sorry if you know this already--I'm just not sure what the bottom photo is trying to convey.

crankin
03-16-2010, 01:45 AM
No. that is exactly what i am looking for. Thank you. The seal around the bearing looked different and I was not sure if it was it. I kept scratching my head thinking that this just doesn't look right at all. I kept thinking that it had to be installed inside but didn't see how.

kevin-ct
03-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Hows the seal race? if it's grooved you well need to replace it. :eek:

crankin
03-16-2010, 10:42 AM
My seal race is good.

scott
03-16-2010, 11:01 AM
i see it...the 2nd pic has the seal on the race but not in the hub. when taping/pressing the seal, spring side first into the back of the hub make sure the inner bearing is in there