PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Door Panels - Keep or Kill?

amcordo
03-16-2010, 11:33 AM
I've got those vinyl door panels (also on some other parts). They're probably original judging by condition; they're a dark green(ish) color. I hate them - they cover up potential problems like leaky and rusty dorr frames. But should I keep them for any reason?

LaneRover
03-16-2010, 11:41 AM
slight Sound deadening qualities?

amcordo
03-16-2010, 12:12 PM
slight Sound deadening qualities?

Possibly... but I figure if noise was an issue I wouldn't be driving this beast.

bmohan55
03-16-2010, 12:33 PM
I like mine cuz of the pockets that I keep my junk in, seem to keep it a bit warmer in the cold also.

Firemanshort
03-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I am a door card nay-sayer. They soak up water and the vinyl peels back and so on and so on. The high dollar moulded plastic ones might be different - I never thried those.

My doors are sprayed with bed liner on the inside so as to keep my klunky feet from scuffing them up. i like that solution and it has worked well for me.

Jim-ME
03-16-2010, 03:19 PM
I have a set of the LaSalle door trims and like them very much. They do cut some of the noise but eventually I will be putting Dynamat on the doors too.Since I had no liners before I got them they were less expensive than Exmoor liners and the beauty is that they do not absorb moisture like the factory liners. There is no pocket and the arm rest leaves a little to be desired but there is a spot for speaker mounting. All in all I'd definitely buy them again.
Jim

crankin
03-16-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree that they hold water and can cover up rust…and tend to smell. Our Host has some molded plastic ones. I got mine from a Canadian company…that had the pockets molded into them. I would get rid of them and replace them, or go with out them.

TedW
03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
amcordo: Aren't you the guy who drives around with the hot babes in the back? If so, I doubt they'd be too pleased to be looking at rust and peeling paint. Better keep the door panels on.

You can also use the handy storage pockets to keep breath mints, hair product, and your copy of "How to Score with Women."

I made panels using marine plywood. No moisture issues.

masonater
03-16-2010, 06:48 PM
I have what i think are original door panels, i must say i do like having the arm rest...

amcordo
03-16-2010, 08:15 PM
I agree that they hold water and can cover up rust…and tend to smell. Our Host has some molded plastic ones. I got mine from a Canadian company…that had the pockets molded into them. I would get rid of them and replace them, or go with out them.

In all honesty that's what I wanted to hear. Goodbye crummy vinyl things! Besides, the new view will be the galvanized door frames! I start taking it apart on Friday evening (switched over to the other car for the summer). Even ordered replacement door tops for the front doors so that I'll galvanize the whole lot at the same time!

I am a door card nay-sayer. They soak up water and the vinyl peels back and so on and so on. The high dollar moulded plastic ones might be different - I never thried those.

My doors are sprayed with bed liner on the inside so as to keep my klunky feet from scuffing them up. i like that solution and it has worked well for me.

Sounds like a good idea!

amcordo: Aren't you the guy who drives around with the hot babes in the back? If so, I doubt they'd be too pleased to be looking at rust and peeling paint. Better keep the door panels on.

You can also use the handy storage pockets to keep breath mints, hair product, and your copy of "How to Score with Women."

I made panels using marine plywood. No moisture issues.

Ted have you met Clint? I feel like the two of you would make a rover party interesting...

I have what i think are original door panels, i must say i do like having the arm rest...

My new Chrysler Sebring seats have armrests on both sides (I think - I'll need to go outside to confirm). Just got to install them in the rover!

JackIIA
03-16-2010, 10:27 PM
I have a set of the LaSalle door trims and like them very much. They do cut some of the noise but eventually I will be putting Dynamat on the doors too.Since I had no liners before I got them they were less expensive than Exmoor liners and the beauty is that they do not absorb moisture like the factory liners. There is no pocket and the arm rest leaves a little to be desired but there is a spot for speaker mounting. All in all I'd definitely buy them again.
Jim

Jim - I looked at that site and didn't see anything for series trucks. have you used D90 trims and modified them? Or did I miss something.

Jim-ME
03-17-2010, 04:50 AM
They have Series specific trims. Here are the links for the Series items. The door trim page lists both Series and 90s. http://www.lasalle-trim.co.uk/Products/DoorTrims.html, http://www.lasalle-trim.co.uk/Products/LandRoverS11.html, http://www.lasalle-trim.co.uk/Products/SideTrims.html
Jim

Les Parker
03-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Our hosts offer these, NAS Defender style.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/searchadv.aspx?SearchTerm=rna4700

They look good on my D90.

JackIIA
03-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the links gents.

stomper
03-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Les, would these fit a Series IIA though, if you have added the antiburst door latches?