PDA

View Full Version : Late type wiper gear rebuld...

masonater
03-20-2010, 07:26 PM
I decided to take apart my 1970 wiper gear and motor then ran into some issues. I believe its the late type, it has the round motor on the side. After having it all apart i noticed a few parts stuck to the magnet in the motor, must have fallen out during disassembly. Anyway i have all the books and nothing shows an exploded diagram of the whole unit. There are a few tiny parts that look like they matter and i have no clue where they came from. Anyone know of such a diagram? or have pictures of the guts of the wiper gearing? Ive tried searching the forum but all seem to talk about the pre 68 wipers...any info would be great!

masonater
03-20-2010, 07:28 PM
wiper gear rebuIld...oops

greenmeanie
03-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Post a picture of the bits and I might be able to tell you where they go. I think I've got a single speed motor kicking around somewhere.

masonater
03-20-2010, 08:52 PM
I left my camera at the shop but will post a picture tomorrow. thanks for the reply.

ignotus
03-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Masonater,

They are pretty simple and things should not fall out. You say they were stuck to the magnet so one can guess they are metalic parts?
Inside the armature housing there is not much there. Perhaps a piece of the brushes broke off? Is this a single speed motor? There should be 2 brushes on a circuit board type type mounting plate. There are no bearings at either end of the armature, just bushings.
If you have plastic bits in there they came from the drive side. Pictures would help.

masonater
03-20-2010, 10:17 PM
found the camera in my car, here is a shot of the mystery parts. The washer was found in the motor stuck to the magnets when i pulled the armature out so im guessing it goes in there somewhere, the snap ring was bent and hidden in the grease around the gear where i think its been for a long time. Maybe someone had it apart before? The metal disk is about the size of a pencil eraser, i was thinking it went where the motor shaft sits in the cover where there is also a felt pad of some sort. Lastly, the small plastic cap looking part is a total mystery to me...Thoughts?

masonater
03-20-2010, 10:25 PM
heres another shot of the mystery cap thingy

ignotus
03-20-2010, 11:17 PM
The E ring(snap ring) goes around the end of the shaft that holds the connecting rod to the gear. The washer goes between the e ring and the connecting rod.
Not sure about the other parts. I just took apart an old series single speed and replaced it with a 2 speed from a Defender and neither had the plastic cap. I does look like it would go on one end of the motor shaft. Perhaps the end with the drive gear on it. Maybe it sits in the recess and holds the shaft inplace.

gene