PDA

View Full Version : LT77 vs R380 help

KMW
03-21-2010, 08:39 AM
I ended up with an LT77 and an R380 doing some horse trading...

...I understand that there are all sorts of variants, Defender vs Disco, TDI vs V8. From the shift linkage I think these are both Disco boxes, and my understanding is they came from a US Rover shop.

My project is a hybrid beast, so right now it's not a question of what is the "correct" box, my big question is, are these usable with any LT230? And what's with the strange "threaded" end of the output shaft on the LT77?

If I end up using one of the boxes, I'm going to need shift linkage parts, is that something only available second hand or can Rovers North source them?

Thanks for this any additional helpful info! I've been trying to search but everything I've found says "there are different gearboxes so get the right one" without really describing what the differences are.

junkyddog11
03-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Use Ashcroft transmissions website and the transmission serial #'s to find out what you have.

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/category_5.html

KMW
03-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks. Looks like I've got a pair of Defender boxes, one LT77 and one R380. The R380 has beat up output shaft splines.

Can anyone shed light on any differences with LT230 t-cases vs these? And that goofy LT77 threaded output shaft?

junkyddog11
03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Both trans. will work with the LT230. These are all the same other than the ratio. Most diesel Defenders will have been 1.4:1 anthough some of the older versions bolted to the LT77 will be 1.6:1. These can be identified through the handy Ashcroft site.

I'm not sure what the threaded bit you refer to is. Pictures?

Les Parker
03-23-2010, 09:17 AM
The tailshaft of the LT77 (S) was a carry over from the Leyland days, as some of the LT&&'s had a tailhousing fitted instead of a transfer box.

junkyddog11
03-24-2010, 06:12 AM
The tailshaft of the LT77 (S) was a carry over from the Leyland days, as some of the LT&&'s had a tailhousing fitted instead of a transfer box.

oh, that bit :D (he said tailshaft!)