PDA

View Full Version : truck only runs with choke on????

1961 109 WAGON
03-21-2010, 08:31 PM
ran outa gas the other day., new tank, new pump, took carb apart, no rust in any jets or fuel bowl area. ,my 1961 109 only runs with choke on after running outa gas. what could cause this, has no power, but will idle fine. no rust in tank, carb, or sediment bowl.choke has to be on fully to run good.

4flattires
03-21-2010, 10:33 PM
.... runs with choke on after running outa gas. what could cause this..

Poor fuel supply to the power circuit in the carb. Idle circuit is separate.

Pull and inspect the carb. Clear all passages. Not just a top view of the float bowl.

1961 109 WAGON
03-22-2010, 11:44 AM
thank you, will check this out today!

badvibes
03-22-2010, 02:09 PM
my 1961 109 only runs with choke on after running outa gas. what could cause this, has no power, but will idle fine. no rust in tank, carb, or sediment bowl.choke has to be on fully to run good.

My 88 would idle fine in the driveway for hours. Drive away from the house I'd make it @ 1/2 mile and the truck would stall out. Would restart a little while later and I'd drive home and try to find the problem. Started at the carb end, rebuilt the Rochester, changed all the fuel line and filters, replaced the electric fuel pump. Same problem continued. Pulled the pickup tube and found it mostly blocked from crud it had sucked up from the tank. The screen was missing from the end of the pickup tube. Blew it out and the problem went away. Think the flow was enough to maintian an idle but not enough under load to keep the fuel bowl level up so it would die after @ 1/2 mile of driving. You might have replaced or renewed all this with your tank replacement but it might be as simple as a partially blocked pickup. Were you having a problem with sedimentation when you replaced the gas tank?

txffjim
03-22-2010, 05:34 PM
I just got done with the same thing, blew out all fuel lines, cleaned bowl, pulled the pickup tube and the screen was shot.
I put on a wix 33052 on the end of it with a little persuasion and its running good:thumb-up:.

1961 109 WAGON
03-22-2010, 06:48 PM
i did fix it today, its the original solex. there was a passageway with lots o rust in it, i think it was it with the 55 jet.blew it out and used carb cleaner. when i bought the new tank, i did put a new pick up tube and sock on it. the rust must have been from yrs ago.