PDA

View Full Version : not rolling at all

scott
03-22-2010, 09:34 AM
my ambulance arrived this weekend. it has a ball hitch on the front bumper. the guy who hauled it here said it was a bear to get into his trailer, they had to use a come-a-long and it was straining. so i drive into the trailer, drop the tow bar on my 88, hook up and back down the ramp. once on level ground the 88 stalls under the load. WTF? i drop it in to low range and keep on draging it. i'm telling you 20 guys could not have pushed this thing. i had the tranny and transfer case in neuteral. hoping it's just the tranny brake that's stuck. we'll see next weekend as we start to tear it apart

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=43671&id=1654636087&l=9a005b40dc

4flattires
03-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Pull the wheels, check the brakes.

scott
03-22-2010, 08:13 PM
yea tomorrow it goes up on jack stands to see if its both axles or just the rear. i'm hoping/thinking it's just the e-brake

sailtech
03-22-2010, 08:25 PM
My RHD 1969 IIa 88 had a similar ball hitch bolted to the front bumper. It was more offset, in fact it was mounted directly in line with the right side frame. It's currently in the pile of parts that I'm planning to have re-galvanized. Does anyone know if this is a common option, and if so, where it should be mounted?

Thanks.

JimCT
03-22-2010, 09:22 PM
It is just an easy way to back a trailer down a boat launching ramp.

junkyddog11
03-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Not so much for trailer hookup. used commonly in europe as a "quick" recovery point. Look at the British trials and comp safari rigs and you will see one on each end generally painted in a bright colour. Hook a strap over it, little tug and you're off . Not used on this side of the pond......probably Bill Burke said it's not safe.

Les Parker
03-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Nice comment, Matt.
We used to use the ball on the front for moving trailers and caravans (trailers) around, some of us find it easier to push than pull into tight parking spots.

Andrew IIA
03-23-2010, 09:22 AM
It is just an easy way to back a trailer down a boat launching ramp.
Yes, these are common on trucks used for moving boat trailers down launching ramps in my area.

scott
03-23-2010, 12:51 PM
a hitch makes for an exciting if not a bit dangerous retrieval point. i watched my 2" ball go flying right over the top of a bud's heep that had a winch that was attachted to the 2" ball that was on my 88 that was to the door sills in real thick mud

LaneRover
03-23-2010, 02:50 PM
When you have the ambulance under tension, give each wheel and the transmission brake a rap with a hammer.

J.McKelvey
03-24-2010, 07:30 AM
I agree, Check the breaks. that's most likely the problem.

If not unbolt the drive shafts. hopefully this works..

scott
03-24-2010, 08:08 AM
messed with it for about 2 hrs last night, it appears to have been the brakes dragging. all he wheels are turning albeit a bit of resistence. it's on jack stands now. tried taking one drum but it'll take more beer and another night to get it off.
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2895&d=1269401831

onecross
03-24-2010, 01:22 PM
messed with it for about 2 hrs last night, it appears to have been the brakes dragging. all he wheels are turning albeit a bit of resistence. it's on jack stands now. tried taking one drum but it'll take more beer and another night to get it off.

try a bottle of Loctite freeze and release it does wonders encouraging parts that don't want to let go.

greenmeanie
03-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Looks like an ex RAF ambi. Does it still have the military data plate?

Terrys
03-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Most likely the brake hoses. When they get old, they get soft inside and act just like a check valve.
BTW, even with the TC and G'box in neutral, your E-brake still works (unless you snapped a rear halfshaft)

scott
03-24-2010, 02:52 PM
greenie, yea i think is is xraf. original paint looks grey, and it is set up in the back with only one bench on the right and a gurney and storrage on the left. i heard that the raf had this cool look'n brush guard. where would that plate be?

it seems to be rolling now. on the stands you can move all the wheels and the rear prop and e brake drum turn.

i'm thinking bad dizzy deck ground or condensor or coil high tension wire or coil. no spark with a spark plug plug into the coil and grounded against the head. something is not allowing the coil to dump to the rotor.

the resistence to roll might just have been the old 90 wt has left the hubs and jelled a bit in the 3rd mbrs and a once stuck but now free e-brake.

ahh, so much to do and drink. damn this job thing that keeps me from my brothers backyard and fridge