PDA

View Full Version : What's a 109 pick-up worth?

baja gs
03-22-2010, 08:39 PM
I have found a early Series lla pick-up that could be purchased. The body is straight, grill and front turn signal marker missing. Not much rust to speak of. Seats are rough, it still has bias ply tires, and its been parked sense 1993. What's the thought on the matter?

scott
03-22-2010, 09:34 PM
2 to 3 hundred if the frame isn't rotted. one of those grills just went for more than a couple hundred. all part can be found, just a matter of look'n. and then there's the thrill of trying to remove the old rusted nuts and bolts

amcordo
03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Post pics. Do the ball-peen hammer test on the frame (weak spots will punch right through - then you know if it's got rust rot on the inside of the boxed frame). Has it moved at all since '93? If not, the engine and most of the moving parts may/likely will need to be torn down, de-siezed, ground, oiled, etc. A lot can happen to a steel part that's supposed to be run and oiled regularly when it hasn't had that happen in seventeen years.

Tires will need to be replaced even if they look OK (dry rot will have to have set in - usually starts within 5-6 years).

I have found a early Series lla pick-up that could be purchased. The body is straight, grill and front turn signal marker missing. Not much rust to speak of. Seats are rough, it still has bias ply tires, and its been parked sense 1993. What's the thought on the matter?

Donnie
03-23-2010, 04:46 PM
2 to 3 hundred if the frame isn't rotted. one of those grills just went for more than a couple hundred. all part can be found, just a matter of look'n. and then there's the thrill of trying to remove the old rusted nuts and bolts
A 109 pick up with a good frame..................2 to 3 hundred??????????????////
What am I missing here?........donnie

scott
03-23-2010, 05:42 PM
A 109 pick up with a good frame..................2 to 3 hundred??????????????////
What am I missing here?........donnie

well let's see, a beat up but running IIA 5 to 6K. another 10 to 15K in restoration cost and you have a near perfect restored 109 IIA worth between 10 and 15K. so rovermath: $5000+10,000=$10,000 or restoring old land rovers is no way to get rich. so given that a $5000 truck restored isn't worth the cost of restoring plus it's starting value, do you remember the starting value? that's about 5,000 for an ugly one that you can count on getting you out and back. so going way back to my first answer, $200 to 300. he says it's sat for 16 years, now he didn't say garaged or stored he said parked so i'm picturing a truck with every rubber part rotted, a bit of the iron shot too and all the little steely parts that are only seperated from other steely parts by oil to now be stuck together. and i just bought one of them that has a pretty good frame and was only "parked" for a year and paid less than a grand

Linus Tremaine
03-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Solid frame
engine that isnt frozen and could be made to run
decent panels
95% minimum on completeness

I would pay 1000-1500 expecting full hydraulic rebuild and all brakes and clutch parts, tires, battery, fluid change, gas tank flush and radiator flush as minimum repairs. Add a few more unexpected ones and you would have a 4ish thousand dollar truck perhaps with out any cosmetic work done.

bmohan55
03-24-2010, 07:47 AM
well let's see, a beat up but running IIA 5 to 6K. another 10 to 15K in restoration cost and you have a near perfect restored 109 IIA worth between 10 and 15K. so rovermath: $5000+10,000=$10,000 or restoring old land rovers is no way to get rich. so given that a $5000 truck restored isn't worth the cost of restoring plus it's starting value, do you remember the starting value? that's about 5,000 for an ugly one that you can count on getting you out and back. so going way back to my first answer, $200 to 300. he says it's sat for 16 years, now he didn't say garaged or stored he said parked so i'm picturing a truck with every rubber part rotted, a bit of the iron shot too and all the little steely parts that are only seperated from other steely parts by oil to now be stuck together. and i just bought one of them that has a pretty good frame and was only "parked" for a year and paid less than a grand

In other words...if you want a nice truck and can't afford an expensive (restored) one you will never afford a cheap one.

but we're not really in this for the money, right?

scott
03-24-2010, 07:57 AM
In other words...if you want a nice truck and can't afford an expensive (restored) one you will never afford a cheap one.

but we're not really in this for the money, right?

yea, i think. but don't get me wrong i really like my 88. paid 5900, put in another 6000 in upgrades, maintenance, and generally replacing things i've broken. it is an ugly truck without doubt but i'd jump in it now and drive to alaska or argentina if i didn't have to be at work in a half an hour

J.McKelvey
03-24-2010, 08:02 AM
It really depends on how long its been sitting and why it was parked. If you can get us some pictures it would be easier to determine.

109 Pretender
03-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Not really much to work with here on vehicle details but as always - it's worth exactly what YOU are willing to pay for it. One really big plus here not mentioned by previous posts is the fact that a 109 P.U. is more rare in USA. Most were S.W. so in theory at least it might command a bit more - you know the old supply/demand marketing model. Buy it because you want it - not to resell at a profit - especially in these economic times...

By the way - do you know if it is a US vehicle or was it "imported"? A lot of junk is being offloaded on us Americans because we have the money and desire to own these vehicles - be careful!