PDA

View Full Version : What Is the Horn Supposed to Sound Like? *Now With Examples!

amcordo
03-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Anyone on here who could suggest a horn for me for my Land Rover Series? Not necessarily interested in it being the exact model or anything, and that's why I didn't click "buy" from RN earlier. Wanted to ask around first...

I'm looking for something that would just sound right on it for the time period. So I don't want a generic modern horn. Can you help my by telling me what you've got an finding a youtube video that is similar in sound?

Wander
03-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Griot's Garage has dual note air horn from Fiamm that have that classic British/ Italian car tone. I've though about getting a set for myself although the factory horn is rather polite in a very British way.

sound samples- www.fiamm.com (http://www.fiamm.com)

TSR53
03-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Everything you need or would like to know about Hella horns.

http://www.hella.com/hella-com-en/assets/media_global/TIHoerner_Fan_GB_TT_14.pdf

If you want a traditional "European" sounding horn, then use twin trumpets, one high and one low.

If you want a more "meep-meep" sounding old school Volkswagen use a disk or supertone horn.

I mixed a Hella high tone trumpet with the stock Volkswagen Westfalia "meep" and it sounds very nice.

TSR53
03-23-2010, 04:11 PM
If you are near a pick and pull junk yard you can find a wealth of older twin trumpet horns and other types. Most of all, have fun!

Andrew IIA
03-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Search high and low for one of these :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkalley/3336399628/in/set-72157610584998247/

jgkmmoore
03-26-2010, 03:58 AM
I bought an A-OOOGAH horn on the net(new) for about 10 bucks. Red plastic bell, and just as ugly as the original Model A horn, and just as loud. Mounted it inside the left wing with the bell facing sideways into the airvent. If someone is snoozing into your lane on your left, and you blow that horn, they flat MOVE OVER fast. Rather immodest and not quite polite, but REAL effective. Rather comical sound. For $10, you can't go wrong. I used a relay as well.
If you buy wrecking yard horns, be sure to test before you buy. They rust up inside in states where it rains/snows.:rolleyes:

Firemanshort
03-26-2010, 09:07 AM
My Stage One had one (what appeared to be) low note horn. It was plastic but still busted and rusted on the inside. I replaced with a hi-lo combination from a wrecked MG. Its all British - right?

4flattires
03-26-2010, 12:23 PM
but...

If your looking for mindless entertainment, try Youtube and search out train horns and what folks mount them on and do with them. You will also find a wealth of sound bites there. I used it to hear potential Harley horn upgrades.

I guess everyone needs an outlet of some kind..eh?

:thumb-up:

spacemutt
03-26-2010, 12:33 PM
I guess if you want it to be original then that's a different matter, but I've always found the horns on my Series to be woedully inadequate and replaced them with something much louder. Discovery horns are pretty good.

amcordo
03-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Train horns are for pansies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWNw0A1Ijg&feature=fvw

but...

If your looking for mindless entertainment, try Youtube and search out train horns and what folks mount them on and do with them. You will also find a wealth of sound bites there. I used it to hear potential Harley horn upgrades.

gudjeon
03-26-2010, 05:06 PM
I have always used the single note high tone of aftermarket. Fiamm or whatever is at my local store. The higher tone doesn't sound angry for a short "toot-toot" as a friendly way of waving. Lay on it for a while, and it grates the nerves of the bonehead it is intended for.:thumb-up:

NelsAnderson
03-26-2010, 05:43 PM
but...

One of the Rovers at Metal Dash Weekend last year had train horns installed. Worked pretty good too!