PDA

View Full Version : Greasing Ball Joints

JackIIA
03-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Wanted to get a sense as to best practice for greasing ball joints. I was thinking of just prying the circular retaining springs off the boot and then depressing the joint with a c-clamp and then squeezing a bunch of grease in there. How tough is it to get the boots back on? I've got new joints and I'm assuming they're greased, but it looks to me like they're pretty stingy with the stuff. I can fully depress the boots without any evidence of grease movement.

I know some folks use a needle set-up to inject grease right through the boot. I'm not sure how you'd do that without a low viscosity grease and a syringe, but that's why I'm posting. What's the best route? Thanks.

jac04
03-23-2010, 07:09 PM
If they are new ball joints, just install them and don't worry about it. If they are a good quality ball joint, they will have the appropriate amount and type of grease in them. Don't risk grease compatibility issues.

As for greasing ball joints with a needle, I used to do it on my old 63 88" that didn't have greaseable ball joints. They make a special greasing needle that attaches to your grease gun. It is a needle with a grease fitting on one end.

JackIIA
03-24-2010, 05:44 PM
great. thanks jeff

amcordo
03-24-2010, 07:19 PM
While we're on the subject... how do I grease the u joints? Sounds dumb, but I've never done something like that before. Where do I put the grease and how do I get it in there and what's a good over the counter supermarket brand?

jac04
03-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Some u-joints don't have grease fittings - they are "lubed for life". If your u-joints have grease fittings, then just use your grease gun to pump in fresh grease until the grease coming out from around the seals looks like the fresh grease that you are pumping in.

Moose
03-24-2010, 09:03 PM
On my trucks, I've always just drilled a hole through the top/flat side of the ball joint, tapped it and screwed in a grease nipple. The tap does not go in to far but enough that the treads on the nipple have enough to bite. Gently wrench in the nipple and then grease to your hearts content.

Brett

amcordo
03-25-2010, 06:13 AM
On my trucks, I've always just drilled a hole through the top/flat side of the ball joint, tapped it and screwed in a grease nipple. The tap does not go in to far but enough that the treads on the nipple have enough to bite. Gently wrench in the nipple and then grease to your hearts content.

Brett

hi Brett!

Any chance you would be willing to post a pic of this?

yorker
03-25-2010, 08:46 AM
1.Drill and tap hole 2. Insert zerk.

It really is that easy. It doesn't always work however because there has to be some place for the old grease to go- to escape by the ball and socket in the tie rod end. Some sealed for life TREs don't allow for this and you can try to pump all you want and get nothing into them.

amcordo
03-25-2010, 11:05 AM
1.Drill and tap hole 2. Insert zerk.

It really is that easy. It doesn't always work however because there has to be some place for the old grease to go- to escape by the ball and socket in the tie rod end. Some sealed for life TREs don't allow for this and you can try to pump all you want and get nothing into them.

I just don't get where I drill and tap the hole. Sorry, being a little high maintenance but I don't like drilling things unless I'm sure I'm doing it right. :)

yorker
03-25-2010, 11:42 AM
I really don't think it is worth doing anyway.

http://www.poweredbyford.com/store/images/ford_racing/M-3130-R2.jpg