X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Walker
    Low Range
    • Apr 2008

Leaky tranfer case

After driving my rig for nearly 5 years constantly checking the transf.case fluid and cleaning (lol) my driveway, I bought an aluminum case cover from Rover Drive about 6 months ago. Holy S--T!! What a difference! No drips, no messes and the whole thing seems to be running cooler. So far it has been the best $100 I've spent. Does anyone else have any experience with this beauty?

Art
  • 109 Pretender
    1st Gear
    • Oct 2008

I have one that I bought from Jim Young (Mercedes Rover - Series Trek axles). It's very similiar excepting no cooling fins. The thick alum. plate really does make a diff. on leaks from the transfer case. Mine probably doesn't keep the oil as cool - but having oil in the case all the time is the best coolant anyway!! It was a simple and worthwhile mod for me as I always hated topping off the transfer case from time to time.

Cheers!

Comment

• jac04
      Overdrive
      • Feb 2007

^^ I didn't know these were available from Series Trek. How do I go about ordering one from him?

Comment

• TedW
        5th Gear
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Walker
        After driving my rig for nearly 5 years constantly checking the transf.case fluid and cleaning (lol) my driveway, I bought an aluminum case cover from Rover Drive about 6 months ago. Holy S--T!! What a difference! No drips, no messes and the whole thing seems to be running cooler. So far it has been the best $100 I've spent. Does anyone else have any experience with this beauty?

Art

I've had one for 3-4 years now. I still have leaks, but not from the transfer case anymore. And I love those nifty cooling fins - makes my tranny look like a '59 Caddy!

Comment

• galen216
          2nd Gear
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by jac04
          ^^ I didn't know these were available from Series Trek. How do I go about ordering one from him?
          Just shoot Jim an email. I have one too.

You need longer studs in the transfer case. I bought a pack from McMaster so if anybody does it let me know and I'll send you studs since I had to order 100.

I also used nylock nuts with a wide shoulder to give more pressure against the plate. Probably can send these also as I had to order 100 on these too.

Now if I can just get the other stuff on my truck to stop leaking....
          74 SIII
          96 Disco SE-7 5 Spd.

Comment

• jac04
            Overdrive
            • Feb 2007

^^ I thought that the studs were an unusual thread (BSF) where they thread into the aluminum case. Is that correct?

Comment

• TedW
              5th Gear
              • Feb 2007

FWIW the Rocky Mountain cover comes with new attachment bolts and gasket..............

Comment

• Regan
                Low Range
                • Oct 2009

Good to know you ordered and installed the al. case cover. I just purchased and installed a Roverdrive, having a few install issues, etc. I have a leak where the Roverdrive is mounted onto the transfer case. I have or will get it fixed. The unit does seem to run hot on the highway, so hearing it runs cooler with the al. case cover is good news to me, plus no leaks as I have leaks there as well now! Regan

Comment

• TeriAnn
                  Overdrive
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by 109 Pretender
                  I have one that I bought from Jim Young (Mercedes Rover - Series Trek axles). It's very similiar excepting no cooling fins. The thick alum. plate really does make a diff. on leaks from the transfer case.
                  Sounds like you have better luck than I did on the one I bought from SeriesTrek. Mine had the bolt holes beveled ON BOTH SIDES. The inside bevel went out to near the edge of the transfercase edge so there was very little sealing space. After trying to seal it four times I gave up and tossed it in the recycling bin. Wost $$ I've spent on LR parts in a long time. I'm still mystified as to why that plate was beveled on the inside.
                  -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                  Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• greenmeanie
                    Overdrive
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by TeriAnn
                    Sounds like you have better luck than I did on the one I bought from SeriesTrek. Mine had the bolt holes beveled ON BOTH SIDES. The inside bevel went out to near the edge of the transfercase edge so there was very little sealing space. After trying to seal it four times I gave up and tossed it in the recycling bin. Wost $$ I've spent on LR parts in a long time. I'm still mystified as to why that plate was beveled on the inside.
                    I cannot comment if the part was made corectly to its design but in my line of business we frequesntly seal round studs and under screw heads this way. An o-ring is placed in the bevelled part and seals up against the plate, the housing and the body of the stud which should preferrably be plain at this point. Seals pretty well. I'd feel pretty sick throwing away that part for the sake of a few o-rings.

Comment

• TeriAnn
                      Overdrive
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by greenmeanie
                      I cannot comment if the part was made corectly to its design but in my line of business we frequesntly seal round studs and under screw heads this way. An o-ring is placed in the bevelled part and seals up against the plate, the housing and the body of the stud which should preferrably be plain at this point. Seals pretty well. I'd feel pretty sick throwing away that part for the sake of a few o-rings.
                      It wasn't cut for any O ring I've ever seen. It would have been cone shaped packing washers. I can see having the outside beveled for flat head allen screws, but there is not a whole lot of sealing surface on the underside. Of course it came without screws or any kind of directions so I just took my best guess with flat head allen screws.
                      -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                      Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• Mercedesrover
                        3rd Gear
                        • Oct 2006

Well, Terriann, I have sold dozens of those transfer case pans without complaint. The holes aren't "beveled" on either side, they're deburred lightly on either side with a tool called a countersink. And they hardly go to the edge of the pan. There's approximately 3/8" between the edge of the 1/4" hole and the edge of the pan.

If you didn't understand the obvious need for longer studs, I'm sorry. I didn't think that was too tricky. A longer stud, a flat washer and a nylock nut is all you need.

If you had a problem with the pan I sure wish you would have contacted me. You know I'm never far from a computer, and if you remember I had all kinds of time to help you when you bought a set of my axles used and had trouble installing them.

If you still have it, send it back. I'll gladly refund your money and the cost of shipping.
                        www.seriestrek.com

Comment

• galen216
                          2nd Gear
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by jac04
                          ^^ I thought that the studs were an unusual thread (BSF) where they thread into the aluminum case. Is that correct?

On my SIII there are standard 1/4-20 studs.

And to Jim's point above. I wrote him an email and he even gave me the size of studs to order and recommended nyloc nuts.
                          74 SIII
                          96 Disco SE-7 5 Spd.

Comment

• robert wood
                            Low Range
                            • May 2009

The threads in the transfer case are 1/4 UNC.
                            The finned ROVERDRIVE transfer case we make here is supplied with screws not studs. The reason for not using the existing studs is that these are very brittle and often break off flush with the surface. The reason I used hex screws not studs and nuts in the design is that 1. This keeps a lower profile and you are less likely to hit one on a rock and 2. As most Series owners will have ruefully observed the studs are prone to leak through the threads on the nuts. Using a hex head screw prevents this. We use a whiz-lock screw which locks without a washer. A dab of silcone sealant under each head and viola - no leaks.
                            I appreciate the positive comments on this product. Thanks

Ray. Roverdrive Gear Corporation

Comment

• NickDawson
                              5th Gear
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Walker
                              I bought an aluminum case cover from Rover Drive about 6 months ago. Holy S--T!! What a difference! No drips, no messes

Art
                              Wait a second... no drips? Then how do you know it still has oil in it?

when the 'slick' in front of my house dries up, I know its time to add more to the TC...its a great tool!

Joking aside - may have to order one once I get everything else in shape.

Comment

Working...