PDA

View Full Version : Relocating the Turn Signal Stalk?

roverlandpark
03-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Has anybody moved the turn signal stalk from the right side of the steering column to the left? I'm thinking that the existing stalk should work , but that I'm going to lose the steering column cover and will need to move the ignition key. If anybody's done this or knows of a kit, please let me know. Thanks!

SafeAirOne
03-25-2010, 10:34 AM
The stalk itself is universal to RHD and LHD on the SIII, I believe. The other stuff (cover, ignition, etc) is handed.

amcordo
03-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Has anybody moved the turn signal stalk from the right side of the steering column to the left? I'm thinking that the existing stalk should work , but that I'm going to lose the steering column cover and will need to move the ignition key. If anybody's done this or knows of a kit, please let me know. Thanks!

Downside is that the graphics on it will be upside down. Trying to remember if that matters or not - they might all be anagrams.

siiirhd88
03-25-2010, 11:46 AM
I swapped the turn signal stalk to the left side of the column on my SIII 109. I spun the column tube 180 degrees by removing the four bolts holding the column tube to the steering box and just spun the column placing the alignment notch on the left, and then bolted the tube back up. I then bent the turnsignal switch handle upwards.....

You will need to unscrew and turn the cancel flange on the base of the steering wheel around, too.

The rest of the column mods, installing a matching MGB wiper switch on the right side and a modified Defender column cover were a little more time consuming, but not too difficult. There is a writeup and pictures on the Guns and Rovers board at:

http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/reply/32451#reply-32451

Bob

Les Parker
03-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Be wary the the Airportable column surround is unique and somewhat brittle.
I still wonder why the need to change the side of the switch location....

roverlandpark
03-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can source a steering column cover or fab a new one for this mod. I'll keep the original cover just in case I need to change it back. I'll post pics when I finish this. Thanks again!