PDA

View Full Version : Brake Upgrade Questions....

shortbutslow
03-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Want to go to the dual circuit system on my '64 SllA 88 but before I dive in wanted to ask:

1. What are the opinions about power vs. non-power brakes?

2. I inherited two 11" backing plates so could go to those up front - opinions there?

I keep it pretty light - no top, heavy loads or towing, so I may not need the extra control/stopping power, but from what I've heard the dual circuit power brakes with the 11"' fronts are the best you can do with Series parts, and wouldn't mind having the key safety system maxed out - so thanks for any help, and any things to watch out for in the conversion.

jac04
03-26-2010, 07:59 AM
You need to be careful about front/rear brake balance. If you go to the 11" fronts, you should upgrade the rears as well. This thread should have all the info you need:
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8660

Jim-ME
03-26-2010, 08:09 AM
I ended up installing a 109 MC in my 88 and feel that it was an improvement over the 88 MC. I have had no experience with 11" brakes so I can't comment on the differences. I will also admit that I drive a little more defensively and anticipate stops more with my Rover than I do with a modern vehicle.
Jim

yorker
03-26-2010, 08:38 AM
How bad are your brakes now? the stock system - when in good repair- really isn't that bad and is easyand inexpensive to keep up with. The one thing I would do with it is replace the stock brake lines with Automec cupronickel brake lines.

shortbutslow
03-26-2010, 09:09 AM
I've gone through the brakes and they are actually pretty good now. Can't get the pedal rock hard but other than that they're okay. My main concern is the single circuit and since I'm going in (shipfitters disease alert) wanted to know if the other upgrades make that much of a difference. My first car (100 years ago) was a CJ2A so I'm adjusted to rudimentary brakes, but also have concerns about other family members driving it.

Thanks again

Sputnicker
03-26-2010, 04:21 PM
I've just completed upgrading my 60 Series II with the later style dual master and vacuum assist servo. Big improvement.

utahseries
03-28-2010, 06:05 PM
I've driven an 88 which had 11" drums and a 109 MC and I was really impressed. If you can afford those 11" backing plates!

shortbutslow
03-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Since I have the vacuum fitting on the manifold think I'll go with the servo. The guy who sold it to me put two 11" backing plates under the driver's seat - didn't find them til later and didn't know what they were til after that, but when I figured it out it was a very nice surprise! Think I will do the servo and mc first then see about the 11"ers. Thanks everyone!