PDA

View Full Version : Painless style fuse block...where to mount?

SeriesShorty
03-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Lots of threads to search through to find all the responses over the years so I'll keep it simple and start this thread because I can't make up my mind...

Where did you mount your fuse block?

spacemutt
03-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Is it one in, one out type fuse block, or does it have a bus-bar?

SeriesShorty
03-26-2010, 08:13 PM
It's similar to this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Painless-Wiring-10101-Universal-12-Circuit-Harnesses_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cee6924aaQQi temZ330417382570QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ 5fAccessories

SafeAirOne
03-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I personally am fond of greenmeanie's fusebox installation, though I'll let him elaborate if he chooses....

gudjeon
03-26-2010, 08:54 PM
I mounted mine in the inside of the dash on the RH side. I find it can stay relatively dry, be easily checked, close to the battery, runs on the same side as where all the originals went, and wiring for chassis goes down by the tank to the rear making shorter runs. I powered mine hooking up to the battery side of the starter relay making another short run for higher current wiring.

I also wired my rear lighting up under the galvanized capping on the inside so not to suffer the corrosion of being exposed. Snap on black plastic wiring loom and zip tied. :thumb-up: Original? No but good for another 51 years.:rolleyes:

SeriesShorty
03-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Boy am I tired! Today was the first day I've worked on my truck since what seems like forever. It's so hard to figure out where to begin when it's been months of leaving a project.

I started with ripping out some more of the old wiring harness. I took a deep breath and just started yanking everything. I should have gotten a tetnus booster cause all this braided, shielded, and armored wire in this thing just about tore me up.

Now that all of the dash and gauge wiring is gone and I am left with an empty dash it's much easier to see my mounting choices. I do like just right of the center dash on the interior a lot...now that I am rid of that bulky military ignition switch and 24v flasher panel I have a perfect spot for the fuse block. Thanks for that suggestion Gudgeon.

Anyone else have some other creative places to suggest? C'mon Greenmeanie we know you have lots of groovy stuff going on so spill it or I'll waste all night on here trying to find your old post. :)

Anyways, it's good to be back at it and I look forward to having a reason to hang out a little more often. :thumb-up:

John O from Jersey
03-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Not sure if this picture will attach - Here's where I put my Painless block. Fits nicely in this spot. Ignore all the other stuff - the fuel filter and the glow plug converter were all part of my Perkins TDI conversion.

I really like the Painless fuse block. Easily integrates with the original Rover wiring and makes for a much more robust system. Originally my truck had two fuses - one for the dome light and one for everything else on the truck. I feel much safer now :-)

greenmeanie
03-29-2010, 12:32 PM
I have this installation in the seatbox of my 109. I have turned the tool box under the driver's seat into my electronics bay with the fuse panel, most of the relays and the ECU and have placed dual batteries under the passenger seat. It keeps everything protected and out of the elements while still giving easy access. I am using jeep seats that will be bolted in so don't have access through the normal top cover panel.

The drawback is that you need to fit a cannon plug to disconect the electric system to remove the seatbox for gearbox access or use a military style gearbox cross memeber so that the gearbox can be removed from below.

I plan on adding alaminated key to explain each fuse function to the inside of the cover. I am also going to add a small box to contain spare fuses inside the cut out.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2938&stc=1&d=1269883554http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2937&stc=1&d=1269882776

SeriesShorty
03-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Is that a serial plug to the right of the fuse block???

I'm keeping my dual fuel tanks and keeping the battery in between the seats, but your set up has gotten my wheels to spin. That was just the inspiration I needed to start thinking out of the box. :cool:

greenmeanie
03-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Is that a serial plug to the right of the fuse block???

Yup, I got a Megasquirt to talk to. That's just a mock up in the picture. It'll get a dust cap once I'm done.

scatterling
03-29-2010, 05:44 PM
what about using the open space in the battery box that housed the second battery? Maybe section it off and make it weather tight.

SeriesShorty
03-30-2010, 01:44 PM
what about using the open space in the battery box that housed the second battery? Maybe section it off and make it weather tight.

Yep, that is exactly where my little brain was picturing. :thumb-up: Especially if I decide to not run a dual battery set up.