PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake plate on top of spring

bmohan55
03-29-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm changing out my rear springs, per the green bible I removed the spring plate and took out the nut and bolt at the front of the leaf spring. When it dropped down it was still held up by a plate that the hard brake line runs thru and attaches (the plate) on top of the spring pack via the centering bolt. Of course it bent badly and almost pulled out my brake lines! There was no mention of this in the bible or any of the threads I read before I attempted this job. I am not mechanically intuitive at all but I really can't see any purpose in this plate except to steady the hard brake line thru brush/mud/ect. I'm not sure I can straighten it back out enough to re-use or if the centering bolt in the new spring pack is even long enough to allow me to use it. Is anyone famliar with this plate? I'd take a picture but on my last off road event I broke my camera along with putting in three good dents, including one on the roof so deep my headliner is sagging! This is a good reason to stop and drink beer while I await any replies!

As always, THANKS!

NickDawson
03-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Just offering empathy!
I know the plate you are talking about and would agree with your assessment of its function. Could you cut it out and then fabricate or buy something later? Maybe zip-tie the lines to the axle in the mean time?

Assume also you will wait for a more qualified response before proceeding :D

scott
03-29-2010, 07:37 PM
actually the plate you speak of is not holding up your leaf spring...it's the rust. it should just be sandwiched between the axle housing and the top of the spring. and never ever stop drinking to wait for a reply.

bmohan55
03-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Think I got it figured out, the plate was stuck on the top of the spring from 38 years of "chassie lubricate" so when the spring dropped it pulled the plate down with it. Straightened it out fairly good with vise grips and was able to use it with the new spring. I'll watch it when I do the other side tonight....ran out of beer last night so I stopped.
thanks