PDA

View Full Version : New Brakes

Jim-ME
02-27-2007, 04:21 PM
I have just installed new brake shoes, adjusters, wheel cylinders, springs and drums. I can't turn one side by hand as it fetches up on the shoes. The adjusters are backed all the way off. I don't believe any of the parts are genuine and have been purchased either at Rovers North or Atlantic British. Any suggestions? Thanks!

jp-
02-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Jim, I had this happen on my 88" also. It seems that the linings on the shoes are thicker than they should be. I think perhaps the designers were working with worn out brake drums (or else they expected the end user to have worn out drums). In addition to this, the linings are a little thicker at the top and bottom edges of each shoe. I chamfered the top and bottom edges of each lining about 1/4" in. This helped the drums turn somewhat better even though they still feel tight. After that, I decided to just run mine and let them wear in.

Jim-ME
02-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks. I feel a lot better now. How long did you run them before you readjusted them?

jp-
03-01-2007, 10:05 AM
I haven't readjusted them yet, and it's been nearly 1000 miles.

Jim-ME
03-26-2007, 05:31 AM
My new axle assembly went in last week and after chamfering the top and bottom of the new shoes on the side that was "stuck" everything was perfect. Now all I have to do is work out some pinion shim issues so it won't make a horrible noise when I deaccelerate and it will be time to move on to the next project.
Jim

TeriAnn
03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Jim, I had this happen on my 88" also. It seems that the linings on the shoes are thicker than they should be.

If it helps, I've mic'ed a set of new Mintex brake shoes. New Mintex rear shoes average 0.3 inches thick, lining plus back plate. Back plate is 0.1 inches thick.

jp-
03-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Glad to hear it worked out Jim.