X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim-ME
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

New Brakes

I have just installed new brake shoes, adjusters, wheel cylinders, springs and drums. I can't turn one side by hand as it fetches up on the shoes. The adjusters are backed all the way off. I don't believe any of the parts are genuine and have been purchased either at Rovers North or Atlantic British. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • jp-
    5th Gear
    • Oct 2006

Jim, I had this happen on my 88" also. It seems that the linings on the shoes are thicker than they should be. I think perhaps the designers were working with worn out brake drums (or else they expected the end user to have worn out drums). In addition to this, the linings are a little thicker at the top and bottom edges of each shoe. I chamfered the top and bottom edges of each lining about 1/4" in. This helped the drums turn somewhat better even though they still feel tight. After that, I decided to just run mine and let them wear in.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• Jim-ME
      Overdrive
      • Oct 2006

Thanks. I feel a lot better now. How long did you run them before you readjusted them?

Comment

• jp-
        5th Gear
        • Oct 2006

I haven't readjusted them yet, and it's been nearly 1000 miles.

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• Jim-ME
          Overdrive
          • Oct 2006

My new axle assembly went in last week and after chamfering the top and bottom of the new shoes on the side that was "stuck" everything was perfect. Now all I have to do is work out some pinion shim issues so it won't make a horrible noise when I deaccelerate and it will be time to move on to the next project.
          Jim

Comment

• TeriAnn
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by jp-
            Jim, I had this happen on my 88" also. It seems that the linings on the shoes are thicker than they should be.
            If it helps, I've mic'ed a set of new Mintex brake shoes. New Mintex rear shoes average 0.3 inches thick, lining plus back plate. Back plate is 0.1 inches thick.
            -

Teriann Wakeman_________
            Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• jp-
              5th Gear
              • Oct 2006

Glad to hear it worked out Jim.

Comment

Working...