PDA

View Full Version : Not starting

castlerover
03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi all,
Have a 1967 with the 2.25. I put a gear reduction starter in about a month ago. Rig was running good with no problems. The other day I went to go pull it in the garage and it tried to turn over, but it would not start. Now when I turn the key I get a single click, but no chugging. When I turn the key back to the off position I get one more click. I was thinking it was a loose ground connection, but I checked that, could it be that the solanoid went out? cheers:thumb-up:

amcordo
03-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Silly question, BUT... have you checked the battery to makes sure it's not dead/drained/damaged?

castlerover
03-31-2010, 09:25 AM
ya the battery is doing just fine, all electronics are working and battery light is bright. Thats what I was hoping was wrong, but no.

thixon
03-31-2010, 09:49 AM
Just because the electrics work, and battery light is bright doesn't mean the battery is fine. It takes a lot of juice to spin the starter, and not so much to make your dash lights light up.

Double check for loose ground wire, and clean your terminals really, really well. If you're positive that the battery is good, and you still think the solenoid could be the culprit, then short the posts on the solenoid with a screw driver or something. If the battery is in fact good, you'll know pretty quick. If you do try that, be smart about it and don't get hurt (make sure the trucks out of gear, you can't get squished, you don't shock yourself, blah blah blah.

good luck.

amcordo
03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Yup. That's what happened to my truck this winter; the battery was four years old and it just clicked when I turned it over. It had worked the day before and all of the dash indicators looked fine. New battery and it was up and running in seconds.

Just because the electrics work, and battery light is bright doesn't mean the battery is fine. It takes a lot of juice to spin the starter, and not so much to make your dash lights light up.

Double check for loose ground wire, and clean your terminals really, really well. If you're positive that the battery is good, and you still think the solenoid could be the culprit, then short the posts on the solenoid with a screw driver or something. If the battery is in fact good, you'll know pretty quick. If you do try that, be smart about it and don't get hurt (make sure the trucks out of gear, you can't get squished, you don't shock yourself, blah blah blah.

good luck.