PDA

View Full Version : Signage

Les Parker
03-31-2010, 10:45 AM
So, what are folks' thoughts to the history and correct detailing of Ex-MOD and I suppose all vehicles in general.
Can I badge a stock 109" Series III and put Darien Gap transfers on it and that's OK?
Does the history of any particular vehicle matter?

What is the consensus out there?

:confused:

lrdukdog
04-01-2010, 08:54 AM
As long as you are not passing it off as "original" I see nothing wrong with it. It's just like the "Camel Trophy" stickers that folks put on. If you had the "Great Divide" roundall on a non-Great Divide Rangie and passed it off as an original then that would be fraud:eek: in my opinion.
Jim Wolf

badvibes
04-01-2010, 09:10 AM
As long as you are not passing it off as "original" I see nothing wrong with it. It's just like the "Camel Trophy" stickers that folks put on. If you had the "Great Divide" roundall on a non-Great Divide Rangie and passed it off as an original then that would be fraud:eek: in my opinion.
Jim Wolf

Agreed. It matters how the individual represents this if it's done. If someone puts "signage" onto their vehicle for the look that's their prerogative, it's their truck. If they try to pass off a vehicle as something it's not for some type of gain then that crosses the line. The Camel Trophy theme is a good example, seems like quite a few folks go for that "look" for their Discoveries.

Jeff

bmohan55
04-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Do it, it's your truck. I'm getting my artistic sister-in-law to paint "Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom" insigna of some sort on my S3. Yeh I know it poser and totally never happened (not an S3) but my truck/time/money.

TSR53
04-01-2010, 11:18 AM
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/190/1170350025.jpg

LnMd7tD7HhE

LaneRover
04-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I say, if it is your vehicle do what you want with it.

As long as you don't try to pass something off as an original of whatever then you are doing no one any harm at all.

yorker
04-01-2010, 12:19 PM
So, what are folks' thoughts to the history and correct detailing of Ex-MOD and I suppose all vehicles in general.
Can I badge a stock 109" Series III and put Darien Gap transfers on it and that's OK?
Does the history of any particular vehicle matter?

What is the consensus out there?

:confused:

I suppose if you have a genuine vehicle of historical importance it would be a shame to turn it into a fantasy vehicle and ignore the original significance. On the other hand as long as someone isn't really trying to foist something off as something it isn't for $ gain then big deal, who cares?:thumb-up:

What does bug me at times is when someone takes a nice example of military vehicle and "demilitarizes" it. It is kind of like sporterizing a nice military rifle- the history is ruined.

greenmeanie
04-01-2010, 01:04 PM
What can I say...
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2947&stc=1&d=1270145065

Les Parker
04-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Nice one, Greenmeanie !!!

:thumb-up:

TeriAnn
04-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I think people should be allowed to live their fantasies as long as it doesn't do anyone else harm. It their fantasy includes making their vehicle appear like a vehicle they admire I think it is just fine as long as they don't try to pass it off as something it is not. I have no problems with look alikes and tributes to as long as the owner is up front about what it is.

As to my truck, it is a 109 regular fitted with a factory Dormobile kit that came off a wrecked Land Rover. Part of the kit is the Dormobile insignias. They are on the my truck because they are part of the Dormobile kit. I'm up front about it being a non-factory Dormobile.

I also have a Disco II badge on my truck. It reads "Series II" I like it because I own a Series II. Not authentic for a Series II but I have what it says and I like the look of it.

Also on the truck is the URL to my Land Rover web site, advertising decals for the company that sponsors my truck, a Billing '96 sticker from the time I camped at the Billing LR meet and a MOAB sticker I picked up one of the times I was in Moab.

Wander
04-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Sounds pretty cool, any pics?

yorker
04-04-2010, 10:02 AM
What can I say...
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2947&stc=1&d=1270145065
Well.... my daughter really likes that one.:sly:

Mjollnir
04-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Mr. Parker:
I have had the pleasure of speaking with you on several occasions when calling Rovers North, and you have been kind enough to dispense with advice when requested. So, it is my pleasure now to have the opportunity to answer your badging question.
I own a '99 Disco II. It looked good enough, but I wanted to spice things up a bit. So, as the heritage of Land Rover, and the DII in particular, is full of accomplishment, I took a few artistic liberties with some decals including original large Camel Trophy (yellow/green) decals for each side of the vehicle.
I did this not so that people think it is a Camel Trophy vehicle, but rather to honor the history of achivement that occurred. It would be a shame to allow such a glorious event to fall into the cracks of history never to be asked about again. Thankfully I get asked quite often what Camel Trophy was.
The fact that I will upgrade the suspension to Land Rover heavy duty grade and use equipment from the Camel Trophy edition (brushbar, snorkel) will make it more durable, as well as a conversation piece.
Just honor the brand, is all I say, which you are doing. This type of stuff is fine. Hope this helps.

TJR
04-08-2010, 10:27 PM
The other OEM'S do it too.

"Reminiscent of the soldiers' experiences with the original Willys MB during WW II"

http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/news/jeep/willys.html

Really? It's not even close to the original.. ? I'm sure all the original Flat Fender owners see the resemblence.. I dont understand

...TJR

mr.toad
04-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks Thompson for that Wild Kingdom link. The theme song brought back childhood memories of Sunday night TV: "Quick Jim, get the net!"

Is that perhaps where I caught the Land Rover bug?:thumb-up:

Les, I agree with other posters- as long as not misrepresented, modify away. With your accent, you should have the peerage sufficiently up the scale to do what you want to a British vehicle!

Cheers!

TSR53
04-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks, anything to keep us gear heads in the thick of it.

For those that just can't be without Wild Kingdom, very much still alive after ALL these years...

http://www.youtube.com/user/WildKingdomTV

More nostalgia
http://www.wildkingdom.com/nostalgia/classic_clips.html

TSR53
04-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Now, back to the original subject...

My thoughts on this are if one was to build a 'replica' vehicle, you should try to make it as close to the original as possible. Never try to pass your finished product off as the real deal, and always refer to your creation as a replica or 'tribute'.

This 'replica' building has been going on for years, specifically in the Porsche circles, focusing on the elusive, uber-rare, wild 1973 Carrera RS. I even owned a 1972 Carrera RS replica (http://gallery.mac.com/studiors/100125/1972-911RS-replica-5/web.jpg?ver=12158904190001) (MoF, it started life from Stuttgart as a lowly 911T 2.2 liter with a four speed) and didn't think anything of the silly Vitaloni Italian mirrors that came on it when I bought it. However, I did everything I could with creating the proper and EXACT decal replication, european turn indicators and hubcap details I could afford. It didn't hurt that the engine was mechanically injected and also was bumped up to the proper specification 2.7 liters too ;).

Just a side note: Here is a photo (http://gallery.mac.com/studiors/100125/1972-911RS-replica-4/web.jpg) I took in 1989/90 of my 1972 Porsche 911RS replica next to the REAL 1984 Paris-Dakar winning Porsche that Jacki Ickx drove. It was the test bed for the 959 with fully adjustable all-wheel-drive. It had just come off a full restoration and was still needing replacement decals.

The nomenclature 'replica' is sometimes often overused and incorrectly abused. Proper naming really should be, 'themed replica tribute'. This way it will not really offend owners of the real deal and instead elevates the original real VIN'ed vehicles on a higher level.

There are even those who pattern their themed tribute replica on one specific car that raced with a very certain specific livery on say the 1970 Monte-Carlo Rallye.

You are your own person and can do anything you like with your own car, Land Rover, MINI Cooper, or Rose Bowl parade float. Just be truthful in representation.

So, say you wanted to do a specific year, Camel Trophy style 'themed tribute replica', you could use a Range Rover Classic, Discovery I or Defender 110 (as a support rig) and doctor this up nicely. Make sure to research, photos, (more research), more photos, obtain the proper Michelin tires to match your time period and fitment and most importantly, specify sand glow yellow paint :thumb-up:.

Les Parker
04-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks, one and all. This certainly has been an intersting,if meandering stroll on a Bassetts (Liquorice type) journey.

I now feel justified in finishing off my Austin A35 van as a rolling tribute to Nick Parks wonderful creation of Wallace and Grommit.

Now :-

HOP 2IT !!!!