PDA

View Full Version : Roof rack tent ideas?

griswald
04-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Ok,
1971 88 with the full galvy roof rack. I want to have a canvas tent made for the rack. Has anyone done this, or know of someone who can do it?

Would love to see some different design ideas.

Very best,
Griswald

thixon
04-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Gris,

There are several companies that make them, but they ain't cheap. Google roof top tent. You should get plenty of ideas you could use to design your own. It seems to me, you could pick a tent you like, and then design and build the folding platform around said tent.

TeriAnn
04-01-2010, 10:29 AM
You might look at weights on the various roof top tents when choosing. Remember that Series trucks have a narrow wheelbase and the roof is the worst place to add weight if you want to keep the rubber side down.

griswald
04-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the input. I should clarify, I want to design and have made, a canvas tent that should be pretty simple and very light. I envision a lightweight set of support sticks (A frame design) that break down, and also the tent itself would be in a sack in the rear of landy (inside)
My idea is just a small tent that will keep rain off and something that is up off the ground. Alot of the pre fabbed tents you can buy after a google search are: A very expensive, and B a bit more complex than I would like.

The idea is something that is simple, functional (to a point-no blizzards or monsoons) and keeps to the character of an old landy.

Best,
Matthew

Jim-ME
04-01-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure what the size of your roof rack is but I'd bet that you could find a self supporting tent that doesn't have a foot print larger than the roof rack. If a plywood floor was screwed into the bottom of the rack you could easily figure out a way to secure the tent to the plywood. After spending many years camping I wouldn't even consider canvas anymore. I personally look at the Eureka Timberline style tent and when I buy a tent that I can pretty much stand up in, that will be the one I get.
Jim

scott
04-01-2010, 11:18 AM
i'm thinking real hard about a full length rack for my 88 soft top. it will have demension that will allow for a usmc two man combat tent to be set up on it. i think that's 7'x5.5'

thixon
04-01-2010, 01:14 PM
i'm thinking real hard about a full length rack for my 88 soft top. it will have demension that will allow for a usmc two man combat tent to be set up on it. i think that's 7'x5.5'

Scott,

How do you plan to mount the rack? Are you thinking something like the racks for the newer wranglers?

scott
04-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Scott,

How do you plan to mount the rack? Are you thinking something like the racks for the newer wranglers?

thix i know i was going to send ya one of my mounts but i just haven't gotten to it yet. basically the rack will be held above the canvas on six posts, the fore post bolted to the wind sreen pivot bolts such that the screen still folds down while rack is in place. the other four will be just ouside the corners of the tub with their bases configured so as not to interfer with the canvas tie downs

spacemutt
04-01-2010, 07:48 PM
I didn't think a swb roof rack would be long enough to sleep on. The point of a roof tent is it sticks out over the side. I have two on the roof on my 130.

Why not convert the inside to take a bunk? Much warmer inside than on the roof.

spacemutt
04-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Oh, and if you do buy one, don't buy a canvas one. Go for a synthetic fabric ones with plastic floors. Mine are canvas and just suck up water and go mouldy. The wooden floors have rotten and need replaced. They also weight a ton. Modern tents aren't made of canvas for a reason!

scott
04-01-2010, 08:13 PM
I didn't think a swb roof rack would be long enough to sleep on. The point of a roof tent is it sticks out over the side. I have two on the roof on my 130.

Why not convert the inside to take a bunk? Much warmer inside than on the roof.

dude! how tall are ya? a rack running from the top of the windscreen to the rear of an 88 would be 7' or at least 6'6"

badvibes
04-02-2010, 06:01 AM
I didn't think a swb roof rack would be long enough to sleep on.

You can always build the roof rack to extend a bit over the front windscreen, not an uncommon feature on Rover roof racks.

SafeAirOne
04-02-2010, 07:58 AM
You can always build the roof rack to extend a bit over the front windscreen, not an uncommon feature on Rover roof racks.

...or you could go this route (http://northwestoverlandsociety.org/Discussions/tabid/166/forumid/31/tpage/1/view/topic/postid/28234/Default.aspx), one of my personal favorites. It's one of the very few reasons I wish I had a short wheelbase rover--so I could do this to it.

As for the original post--There are tons of rooftop tents out there that'll do. Some of the cheap Chineese tents are only around $800. If that's still too much, I'd just get a ground tent and stick it up there.

To manufacture a one-off tent will cost almost as much as one of the cheap Chineese tents. I know this because I'm developing and building a high-grade rooftop tent system right now, and it ain't cheap.

With a platform-mounted ground tent, you lose most of the convenience of a puropse-built rooftop tent, though--2 minute setup and teardown, small footprint, security, etc. There is also the potential difficulty in finding a tent sized correctly to fit up there and make the best use of the available room. On top of all this, you've got to figure out the best way to get humans from the ground up and into the tent without any acrobatics--probably not too tough if you climb the bonnet with small ladders.

If I were to just make a platform for a ground tent where I had to set up the tent on the ground, then put it up on the elevated platform, I'd just leave it on the ground. Only benefit I could see of putting it up top is that I could be above the critters, and that isnt necessary in 95% of the U.S.A.

If I were going to modify a ground tent for roof rack use, I'd probably narrow one of this style (http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor//static/images/tents/larger/20141_l.jpg)(not necessarily this tent, but this style) down. I've also seen people modify these (http://store.kamprite.com/catalog/Kamp-Rite-Collapsible-Combo-Tent-Cot-CCTC-p-16138.html)for rooftop use.

That's my 2...better make that 4...cents.

thixon
04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Safeair,

are you making a rooftop tent just because you want to, or are you developing something to sell? I'd like to see your design either way. Will you make a post on it?

SafeAirOne
04-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Safeair,

are you making a rooftop tent just because you want to, or are you developing something to sell? I'd like to see your design either way. Will you make a post on it?

So as not to hijack this thread, I'll PM you Travis.

superstator
04-02-2010, 04:15 PM
...or you could go this route (http://northwestoverlandsociety.org/Discussions/tabid/166/forumid/31/tpage/1/view/topic/postid/28234/Default.aspx), one of my personal favorites. It's one of the very few reasons I wish I had a short wheelbase rover--so I could do this to it.

That is very cool. Why couldn't you do it in an LWB?

SafeAirOne
04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
That is very cool. Why couldn't you do it in an LWB?

Well you can, but there's enough room that you dont need to.

redmondrover
04-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Check out these two websites for interesting alternatives to a roof top tent.

The first one, www.compactcampingconcepts.com (http://www.compactcampingconcepts.com), actually uses a roof top tent but it is mounted on a trailer. This one is for the DIYer.

The second one, www.sylvansport.com (http://www.sylvansport.com), offers a nice juxtaposition of an ultra modern looking trailer for your classic rover. These are a bit pricey at around $7K but I give them credit for coming up with a versatile design!

JimCT
04-06-2010, 05:52 AM
This is what we use with our ambulance it is great and you can drive away and leave it set up at the camp.

Bostonian1976
04-08-2010, 08:09 AM
if you buy one, Campinglabs makes a great one. Same manufacturer as ARB tents but significantly less expensive

CLynn85
04-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I've always admired this fellow's setup, albeit on a *cough* Jeep, it's a simple, home made tent deployable on top of a roof rack.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4802&page=8

SafeAirOne
04-13-2010, 10:42 PM
I've always admired this fellow's setup, albeit on a *cough* Jeep, it's a simple, home made tent deployable on top of a roof rack.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4802&page=8

Just wondering what advantage is gained with this setup...:confused:

CLynn85
04-14-2010, 06:13 AM
Just wondering what advantage is gained with this setup...:confused:

Advantages over what? The original poster was asking for ideas for simple roof-based tent ideas, and this achieves the purpose without a $1800 EEZI-AWN or similar. Don't get me wrong, I really like my EEZI-AWN 1200, and it definitely won on the easy to deploy, easy to pack up, quality built marks, but this is just a more back-to-basics home made approach.

SafeAirOne
04-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Advantages over what? The original poster was asking for ideas for simple roof-based tent ideas...

You are corrrect. Perhaps I just don't understand what issues are being overcome by having the ground tent taking up all the roof rack real estate as opposed to being on the ground.

I very much like the creativity involved in the ExPo post, and I don't want to knock that--they seem to like it and it seems to work for them. Right on. I did, however, cringe a bit when I looked at some of the pictures in regards to the full-size mattress + cargo stowage and tent setup.

Leaving dedicated rooftop tents out of the conversation, ground-deployed ground tents are still much more anvantageous, efficient and safer than the same tent set on an elevated roof platform.

Nonetheless, I know everyone has their reason and it's their property. To each their own. Live and let live, etc...

yorker
04-15-2010, 06:34 AM
This is what we use with our ambulance it is great and you can drive away and leave it set up at the camp.

I like your tent set up that is cool! I think there is a lot to be said for the ability to establish a base camp and then drive off- to explore or swing into town to get supplies or whatever. Someone can stay behind and still use the shelter whole the other person uses the vehicle. I guess I'm just not sold on rooftop tents at all really. For the $ of the very cheapest rooftop tents I can get a high quality ground tent. The biggest advantage I see to the rooftop tent solution is a small footprint and it keeps you away from the critters. In North America any of the big critters will still get at you if they want to and where I go the only other critters are millions and millions black flies, mosquitos, deer flies, etc.

Ground tents can also use a real stove which isn't always an obvious advantage that people think of. When it is 30f--20F that is a nice ability to have.

Of course with an ambulance a couple can also just roll up to a parking spot and comfortably stretch out in the back and sleep + wake up in the AM and cook some food on any impromptu stove setup. A tent is an added luxury. Not everyone with a LR has that ability.

yorker
04-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Oh, and if you do buy one, don't buy a canvas one. Go for a synthetic fabric ones with plastic floors. Mine are canvas and just suck up water and go mouldy. The wooden floors have rotten and need replaced. They also weight a ton. Modern tents aren't made of canvas for a reason!

FWIW Some kinds of canvas are better than others, there is a lot of junk canvas out there. It all requires more care than a synthetic tent but it really doesn't have to be too bad. Sunforger is pretty good and can be had in a good mildew and fire resistant treating. Not all canvas is cotton either- you can find linen and hemp canvas too though they suck in the rain. Hemp canvas is real durable and rot resistant though. :D