PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering?

GeoffWillis
04-01-2010, 11:14 AM
As I prepare to re-assemble my 2.5 NAD I find myself wondering what would it take to add power steering to an 83ish 110 mod. I read all the time of someone selling a rover due to health issues and I refuse to be one of them. That being said, I've had 8 surgeries on my shoulders in the past few years and I have to admit that power steering would really be a help. What level of effort would be required, special skills (Welding...), and hardware ($$$) would be necessary to ensure I'll be able to drive this regardless of how my shoulders hold up.
Thanks,
Geoff

Les Parker
04-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Geoff.
All the parts are "bolt on" to convert to P.A.S.
When you did the timing belt, did you notice if the T.V damper/front pulley had a bolt-on pulley? If so, Land Rover do a twin groove add-on pulley for the P.A.S, the pump etc. is then straight forward, with reservoir pipes etc.
As a ball park fiqure, new parts would be around the $1.1k.

RoverDover
04-01-2010, 03:47 PM
No sense in putting all new parts on an old truck!
I got a Disco steering box, pump, and reservoir at the wreckers. made a bracket from a 6 inch angle iron to mount the pump where the 24 volt Radio generator was (4 bolt holes on the timing cover). Cost me $150 (including the Britpart steering box rebuild kit) and about six hours work (including making the bracket with an angle grinder and drill press). It took longer to bleed the system than it did too hook up the oil lines. I got the Disco draglink with the steering box to have the ball joint in the rod end rather than the drop arm. The balljoint in the drop arm is sring loaded and has a little slop compared to the Disco setup. been running for 6 months with out problem.:thumb-up:

I have a manual steering box to give away if anyone wants it.

junkyddog11
04-02-2010, 06:25 AM
No sense in putting all new parts on an old truck!

If that were true I'd be out of a job :)

GeoffWillis
04-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Les, Thanks for the estimate. I'll start saving my pennies, but rignt now I just want to get it back on the road. When I had the crankshaft pully puller made, I bolted it to the front of a single grooved pully (Fanbelt). I assume a second pully bolts to the front of this pully and drives the PS pump? Long is its all bolt-on I feel I can swing it in my garage. I know enough about welding to know I'm not good enough so that I would have to out source.
Geoff

RoverDover
04-09-2010, 09:27 PM
completely-bolt-in is a relative thing.:D

bish1865
04-15-2010, 01:30 AM
I converted my 1985 110 over to power steering with everything off an early Range Rover. This was a straight bolt on affair.I used a mount from a 200tdi to bolt the pump on. Lots of TDI stuff in Canada.The mount bolted to the engine with no problems. I used a couple of washers to shim the pump to lineup with the engine pulley. But it works great. It's been on the ruck for a year with no issues:)