PDA

View Full Version : MICE!!!!!!

spechols
04-01-2010, 04:41 PM
How do I keep these little F-ers out of my rover?
Had a nice little electrical fire today because of them!!!!!:mad:

TSR53
04-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Scented drier sheets.

Although my little Dash works the best, he likes little things :thumb-up:.

http://gallery.mac.com/studiors/100008/OM142513-1/web.jpg

Good luck with the repairs.

Terrys
04-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I have never owned a rover that didn't come with at least a nest, and sometimes with mice in residence. I believe they actually come from the factory, placed strategically in the heater duct, or, in the case of the pre S3, behing the instrument panel. Range Rover mice don't appear to be any more advanced, or sophisticated, though I did find a tiny pair of wellies. My Porsche mice seemed to have little tiny mustaches.

TSR53
04-01-2010, 05:15 PM
My Porsche mice seemed to have little tiny mustaches.

LOL!!! You would have liked the mousehaus in front of my 1976 Carrera 3.0 targa I had - hOlynest haus.

Enigma
04-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Mothballs!!! I liberally spread them around the engine compartment and interior when I put my series up for winter. This seems to alleviate the problem as I have not noticed any damage. I also do this in my boat over winter.
In the spring, I gather up the mothballs and baggy them for use next fall.

Works for me

Cheers John

LaneRover
04-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Either drive it more often or I have also heard about the dryer sheets.

If you have a specific hole that you know they use, steel wool is one of the only things that vermin like mice can't chew through.

As for the cat, I don't think it would work as I think we all know how the joke ends where a Jeep, Cruiser and Series Rover owner have an argument about whose vehicle is more airtight and to prove their point they all put a cat in their truck overnight.

JackIIA
04-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I've heard that mice love the old natural fiber casing on the wires. (Just like they love the padding material in the hardtop interior.

I know I found a beautifully built nest in my dash made of all the colors of the rainbow...

Well, the solution, I believe, is to switch to a modern plastic based harness casing when you rewire. That is my plan anyhow.

I'd be curious if this is not a real solution. I'd be pissed to have to do it again.

SafeAirOne
04-01-2010, 06:36 PM
...drive it more often...

I concur with this one. Mice probably can build a nest overnight, but they don't stay long when you driver your rover regularly. Plus, regular driving makes your rover more reliable.

spechols
04-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Been driving it every day lately, but I did notice that they had gone after the paper towels this morning when I got in.

It caught on fire today when I starter it up after work to drive home. That was fun!!! :eek:
So I guess I will try the drier sheets – or think about locking the cat inside the rover at night.

Any and all ideas are very welcome.

scott
04-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Mothballs!!! I liberally spread them around the engine compartment and interior when I put my series up for winter. This seems to alleviate the problem as I have not noticed any damage. I also do this in my boat over winter.
In the spring, I gather up the mothballs and baggy them for use next fall.

Works for me

Cheers John

have you ever smelled mothballs?

LaneRover
04-01-2010, 11:31 PM
have you ever smelled mothballs?

I have, the hard part is getting their legs apart far enough.

superstator
04-02-2010, 12:18 AM
You, sir, owe me a keyboard.

LaneRover
04-02-2010, 12:36 AM
You, sir, owe me a keyboard.

Glad it wasn't a laptop!

stomper
04-02-2010, 06:23 AM
ROFLMAO! In all honesty, I have never found a better option than the basic mouse traps, with a wire bread tie around the paddle to make them set it off more frequently. Just check them often, and reset as necessary. Decon, and other poisions also work. Why reinvent the wheel?

galen216
04-02-2010, 06:52 AM
In your case Spechols let some Beagles loose in there.....

Andrew IIA
04-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Been driving it every day lately, but I did notice that they had gone after the paper towels this morning when I got in.

Ha ! Yet another use for Paper Towels in a Series.... to distract the mice from the wiring :p .

Donnie
04-02-2010, 01:37 PM
McGill mouse traps work best...They are not made any more...Search E bay,,,Ues peanut butter for bait.....DON"T use Decon , thet will crawl into your heater or someplace and die..
U will never get the smell of dead mice out of your rig,,, Hurry B4 they have young'uns
& you trap the parents...little mice smell too.........been there, Donnie