PDA

View Full Version : When Must A Primary Pinion & Constant Gear Go?

JackIIA
04-02-2010, 11:51 AM
PRIMARY PINION: The primary pinion and constant gear on my IIA suffix C transmission look OK to me. I am planning on replacing the bearings and reusing these items. The oil scroll on the pinion is fine.

I guess the reason I'm posting is there is slight wear on the base of the pinion, where the inner sleeve of the bearing rests. It is not 'feelable' just visual. I shouldn't even call it wear, more like 'marks' of where the bearing sat.

I'm assuming this doesn't constitute the 'obvious wear' that the green bible clumps everything into.

CONSTANT GEAR: afew tiny chips on the teeth. I've circled a good example. Same thing right? No heavy gear wear or chipping so guessing it's fine.

gudjeon
04-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I would reuse them. If you replaced every single transmission part that wasn't perfect, you'd end up replacing everything at a substantial cost. You'd be amazed at how many miles some suspect tranny parts will go. Like the manual says, obvious stuff. Bearings, major gear wear, brass bushing on mainshaft etc. I renew all bearings as a matter of course. It is just a matter of what you are comfortable with in terms of putting back in.

utahseries
04-02-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree with gudgeon, I just had to replace 80% of the parts in my Series 1 transmission and it was pretty painful for the wallet if you know what I mean!

JackIIA
04-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the reinforcement. As usual, I post first and ask questions later....I was thinking that the pinion part I was focusing on isn't even really a wear part. And I can definitely use the $ elsewhere.

:thumb-up: