PDA

View Full Version : British Car Service

whiteyneutron
04-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Has anyone ever done any business with the British Car Service in Tucson, AZ? I am looking to do business with them but just wanted to check here to see if anyone could vouch for their level of quality and overall integrity.

greenmeanie
04-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Is that British Car Service on Stone? If so run away very, very (did I say very?) quickly.

If its a British sports car you're better going to Ernie's over on Wetmore. He's really good to deal with, has pride in his work and has really good rates.
Link (http://erniesbritishcars.com/)

whiteyneutron
04-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Is that British Car Service on Stone? If so run away very, very (did I say very?) quickly.

Yep, North Stone Avenue.

Honestly, I was looking at the 66 Series IIA located here: http://www.britishcarservice.com/EuropeanMotorCars/index.php
and thought I might make them an offer but I probably would buy it without seeing it in person. It looks like Ernie's is just a block away from them. Do you think I could offer Ernie a fee to go take a look at it on my behalf?

greenmeanie
04-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't see British Car Service welcoming Ernie to look at that. LRs are not really his business anyway as he concentrates on the 2 seater sports cars. I won't volunteer him but he and his wife are great people to talk to and he has helped me out a few times in the past. If you buy it it is well worth taking it round and he'll probably look at it out of his innate curiosity.

I think a better thing to do would be to contact the AZLRO club (http://azlro.org/)who have people down there. There is a web site for them and I'm sure they'd have someone who knows the truck or would love to help you on the prospect of a new member.

whiteyneutron
04-05-2010, 12:16 PM
That's good advice, thanks. I'm actually not located in the SW, I'm out of the Boston area. However, I will get on the AZLRO forum and see if anyone knows of the vehicle or can help me out.

I didn't even think about the BCS people recognizing Ernie.

Thanks again.

greenmeanie
04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
If you can't have someone act as your agent then I would say that you should definitely avoid this company.

whiteyneutron
04-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I just shot off an email to the contact at AZLRO, I couldn't find a forum on their web site.

Here is a link to some pictures of the truck if you are interested (feel free to offer up your opinion).

http://picasaweb.google.com/105411644096570333126/66lr88?authkey=Gv1sRgCNeP9pKLxNWUsAE&feat=content_notification#

greenmeanie
04-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Noce looking truck with some good options. When they tell you it is pristine you might want to note that both rear wings have been replaced as has the front passenger side. That wouldn't stop me buying but I'd beat them with it when they try the sales pitch.

It looks solid but as it has been repainted I would want someone to inspect the footwells and other details in person to confirm their integrity and the overall straightness of the truck

whiteyneutron
04-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Wow, you can tell that from the pics?? And that is exactly why I need someone "experienced" to look at this truck for me.

Although I'd like to buy a truck that is as original as possible, I don't mind rebuilt/refurb as long as the work was done right and with the right parts.

Then again, it wouldn't take much to fool me. What do you think about the asking price $7995?

bmohan55
04-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Also, judging from the cleanliness of chassis I'd say it's out of oil! :D

Seriously, looks pretty good to me but I bought mine sight unseen almost two years ago and still sorting it out so try to get someone with knowledge there in person to inspect it. Less surprises that way.

zayante
04-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Looks very CLEAN...if it's a longtime AZ LR it may be as rust-free as it appears. Some new parts and upgrades, but a basic 88. Have the bulkhead and frame checked for rust, bad repairs, and to make sure the smoke is still inside the wiring. Have someone drive it...it's worth a thousand pictures.

whiteyneutron
04-07-2010, 10:33 AM
try to get someone with knowledge there in person to inspect it. Less surprises that way.

Thanks for the advice, I can use all I can get. :thumb-up:

whiteyneutron
04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Have someone drive it...it's worth a thousand pictures.

Unfortunately that's what I'd need to do even if I was buying local as I only have a bit of a clue.

I will need to find some patience so that I don't end up forcing it, but I'm not sure that a bigger hammer is the answer to this one.:rolleyes: