PDA

View Full Version : Newbie introduction

bkreutz
04-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Just wanted to be polite and introduce myself, I just picked up a 74 Series III 88 last Saturday, decided it was time for a new project. I'm not new to LR, my first job as a mechanic was at the Seattle Land Rover dealership (in 1968), worked there for a few years then other things took over (Army, marriage, bunch of different car brands to work for) Went back to work at the Seattle LR dealership in 2001, stayed there until they took over the Jaguar franchise and I got tired of changing transmissions in X Types. Couple of more dealerships then decided I'd had enough of swinging an impact gun 8 hours a day, so now I'm "sort of" retired. I've got my shop at home (complete with lift) and I finished restoring a 47 CJ2A, so the Series III is the next project, feel like I lucked into this, 37,000 original miles, bought it from the original owner, everything works, and the only rust is a bit below the battery tray. (I thought to myself, "is this really a Rover?" Anyway, that's where I'm at now.

redmondrover
04-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Welcome to the forum! That looks like a nice rover and a great shop/garage!

Are you still located in the Seattle area? If so, maybe I'll see you at one of the PCRC events or the All British Field Meet in July--hopefully our 109 will be all back together by then!

msggunny
04-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Welcome, this is a great place for info.

czenkov
04-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Welcome. Nice Rover - it even looks a lot like my parts Rover down to the painted galvy trim - minus my rust. Which is the main reason it is a parts truck. Thats a friend from work admiring the rust.

bkreutz
04-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the welcome, OK here's the first "newb" question. Is there somewhere that lists the factory paint colors or sells the paint? All the suppliers I've looked at don't mention anything about paint. The original color of mine is what I would describe as a "blue/grey" I must not be finding the right reference sites. Thanks

graniterover
04-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Paint Codes: http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/Other.paint.Codes.html

Lots of other good info there if you're just starting out.

bkreutz
04-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks, that's helpful. Though it looks like Rovers North no longer sells aerosol paint, probably a regulatory thing:rolleyes:.

Les Parker
04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Welcolme to our BBS.
RN stopped selling/stocking paint due to Hazardous Material Regulations.
Let us know you address so we can send a Series catalogue and newsletter etc.

TedW
04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the welcome, OK here's the first "newb" question. Is there somewhere that lists the factory paint colors or sells the paint? All the suppliers I've looked at don't mention anything about paint. The original color of mine is what I would describe as a "blue/grey" I must not be finding the right reference sites. Thanks

I've bought from towerpaint.com a number of times. They custom mix in spray cans (or tins) and IMO hit the colors perfectly. Dupont Centari enamel. Just give them the DuPont codes and you're good to go.

SeriesShorty
04-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the forum! A tetnus booster should be your first order. :p I kid, I kid!

Jen

Andrew IIA
04-06-2010, 12:08 PM
I've bought from towerpaint.com a number of times. They custom mix in spray cans (or tins) and IMO hit the colors perfectly. Dupont Centari enamel. Just give them the DuPont codes and you're good to go.
x2. I got some Marine Blue paint in spray (rattle) cans from them last year :thumb-up:

JackIIA
04-06-2010, 12:28 PM

Not anymore. They're out of business due to a fire. At least temporarily.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=90089

TedW
04-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Not anymore. They're out of business due to a fire. At least temporarily.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=90089

Bummer! I can't imagine a "small" fire at any paint store, especially one that deals with auto paint.

These guys are (were) great - let's hope they are up and running again soon.

Does anyone have another suggestion for a similar service?

bkreutz
04-06-2010, 02:19 PM
My wife's a nurse, so she keeps me up to date on shots. And remember, my previous projects were '40's Willys Jeeps, Rover doesn't have the rust market cornered.:)

Sputnicker
04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I had an order in with Tower when they burned down. I was wondering why my paint was taking so long. When I finally figured out what happened, I contacted Ketone (ketone.com) and they had the codes (Marine Blue) and delivered promptly.

jrd51ox
04-06-2010, 04:43 PM
I had an order in with Tower when they burned down. I was wondering why my paint was taking so long. When I finally figured out what happened, I contacted Ketone (ketone.com) and they had the codes (Marine Blue) and delivered promptly.

I've used Ketone on multiple occasions for Pastel Green, 38504A. Always fast delivery and a perfect match.

stomper
04-07-2010, 06:27 AM
looking at Ketone's website, what brand paint are most people buying? House of color, duplicolor? I need to paint some door tops, pastel green color, but a bit more info would help.

jbird1720
04-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Napa also will mix paint in a spray can. Got some last week very pleased with it.

Jay