PDA

View Full Version : Macgyver and clutch reservoirs

thixon
04-06-2010, 08:04 PM
I Macgyvered a clutch reservoir tonight from a peice of bar stock, an Oatey PVC cement can, and the bracket and one of the fittings from the old can. I'm pretty sure if I'd had an old paper clip, two jelly beans, and a relay I could have also made a bosch computer to monitor the rovers systems.

Pics are attached.

JackIIA
04-06-2010, 08:21 PM
That looks pretty darn good too! And I bet all you needed to get it done was a bobby pin, some thread, and a phone jack wire.

Rineheitzgabot
04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Trav,

I like what you've done. As usual, nice work/ingenuity.

You are wrong about the Bosch computer; you forgot the turd, and the tissue paper to construct the rock hard, outer shell of it with. :)

-Gary

gudjeon
04-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Good job.:thumb-up: I wonder what MacGruber would have made?

JackIIA
04-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Almost posted a link for the McGruber skits. Good stuff, though off-color.

4flattires
04-07-2010, 08:12 AM
I Macgyvered a clutch reservoir tonight from a peice of bar stock, an Oatey PVC cement can

Saaaaaaweeeet!

Do you recommend the clear or blue PCV cement for this project?

:D

TeriAnn
04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Wouldn't it have been easier just to install a Series III master clutch cylinder and eliminate the external can & pluming all together? Simpler & less junctions that might someday leak.

Sometimes there is a lot to be said about elegant simplicity.

greenmeanie
04-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Wouldn't it have been easier just to install a Series III master clutch cylinder and eliminate the external can & pluming all together? Simpler & less junctions that might someday leak.

Sometimes there is a lot to be said about elegant simplicity.

There is a lot to be said about ease of maintenance a lot of which is down to access.

The later master cyl with integral reservoir is a pain in the arse to fill and even get the cap off half the time when it is buried way down in the corner of the engine bay on a LHD. Its fine on a RHD but a kluge on the LHD. You can make fold open flaps or pull the pin on the bonnet and fold it back but it is still more hassle than just opening a cap. I've always hated that set up on my 88 and viewed it as a retrograde step in the overall cheapening up of the manufacture of these trucks.

On my 109 I did something similar to Thixon but more complicated. I likwe the idea of recycling the can mainly because of the cost saving but also because it shows igenuity. Making proper hydraulic connections is hardly rocket science. If you can't make a leak free joint then you really shouldn't be playing with the hydraulics at all.

yorker
04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Very cool Travis! I really prefer the metal can resevoir, glad to see you went to the trouble of reproducing it. :D

Les Parker
04-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Years ago, in UK they had a programme called Blue Peter.
Valerie Singleton would be proud of this ultilarian use of "goods on hand".
Great job !!

greenmeanie
04-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Years ago, in UK they had a programme called Blue Peter.
Valerie Singleton would be proud of this ultilarian use of "goods on hand".
Great job !!

Ah memories. Who could forget the infamous 'Get down Shep.' and 'Now here's one I made earlier.' To be true to Blue Peter Travis would have to have used sticky back plastic (Selotape to the uninitiated) and toilet role cores. That may be showing my age.

LaneRover
04-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Did you leave the brush in from the can? You would have an automatic level check device built in!

scott
04-07-2010, 01:20 PM
you should have plumbed it through the bulkhead so that you could check and top it off while driving

4flattires
04-07-2010, 02:22 PM
...or...for those leaky and squeaky Rovies, the quart sized jug...

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance_assets/images/catalog/productimages/all_purpose.jpg

Then again, if your looking to upgrade your dual master cylinder setup, check out the......

wait...for....it...

hold on.....

almost there.....

TWIN PACK!!!

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance_assets/images/catalog/productimages/Regular_thmb.jpg

That concludes our presentation for the day. :D

Les Parker
04-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Whatever happened to John Noakes and Peter Purvis?
Oh, what they used to do with some old coat hangers and tinsel !!!

:eek:

thixon
04-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the all the positive feedback. One thing I'll point out is that if I ever did this again, I think I'd use a can of PVC primer, instead of cement. It would be much easier to clean the can. There's actually a rubber bladder inside the Oatey brand can, but it tears when you try to remove it, so you end up having to clean the cement off the inside anyway.

TA, while you have a point about the fittings, here's why I chose not to go that route: http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-14494-master-cyl-cv-late-type-series-defender.aspx

The PO had already bought a brand new, early style cylinder. Also, I suffer from a bad case of impatience, and being one of the cheapest people you've ever met. Not a good combo. I spent about 6 bucks on this, and it took be about a half hour to complete (including plumbing it).

As for the unions and leaks...well...let's just say I flare a mean hydraulic pipe end.:D

gudjeon
04-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I love projects like these to turn back the clock on the decomposition process of the rover. It was made with simple hands on technology and many of the components were hand made as well. So why not revive and dabble in a disappearing art? Self reliance and all that.:thumb-up: