PDA

View Full Version : 74 88" Project

bkreutz
04-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm starting this thread now because my last restoration (47 CJ2A) I didn't do that until I was about halfway done and all the pictures were scattered about the forum (CJ2A page) willy nilly (pun intended). So in the last couple of days I've gotten the carb adjusted correctly (float was 6mm too high, runs much better now), done some cleanup, and pulled the seats and front floor panels out. The one picture below shows the only rust I can find on it at the base of the passenger side footwell, just surface stuff. The other interesting thing I came across was a build sheet sandwiched under the passenger seat rail, not sure what Rover called these, but that's what it would be on a domestic. too bad part of it's missing, but what I can read is mine came with 760 x 15 Goodyear tires, ashtray (anyone know where that would have been mounted, there's one in the box of spares that came with it but I can't find a place where it looks like it would fit) rear seats, rear fold down step (sadly MIA) kind of a neat thing to find. Still in the assessment phase of this one, trying to decide how far to go.

marsjess
04-06-2010, 09:39 PM
If thats the worst of it just button her back up and use it.:thumb-up:

kevkon
04-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Funny, just a couple of days ago I was under my truck checking everything out when I noticed what looked like a shim sticking partly out from a bed channel. I pulled it out and saw it was the very same "build" sheet for my 73 Series. Amazing that it survived intact all of these years, not to mention the waxoyl.

martindktm
04-07-2010, 06:18 AM
I still have mine for my 73. I even have some paperwork from the boat that bring it over to Canada when new. The boat was named Laurentian Forest if I remember.

redmondrover
04-07-2010, 06:42 PM
I just found ours too--although only a couple of scraps are intact and legible. It was tucked into one of the rear tub supports and was encased in a block of dirt. I pulled all the supports off to send them to the galvanizer along with every other ferrous part I could find.

It reminded me of a 1969 BMW 2002 I had about 20 years ago. When I pulled the rear seat out as part of a stereo/amp/speaker installation, I found a couple of old, dusty, dried out and partially smoked joints--maybe from the original owner celebrating on the way home from the dealership!

PavementEnds
04-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Looks like you have a winner! Santa delivered a 1973 88" to me for xmas and I've been at it in fits and starts. As others have noted, the build/options list was still there right under the front seat rails. See attached photos. Mine has an ashtray and it mounts/hangs on the bottom of the center of the lower dash. I can take a pic if you want. I don't want to clutter your thread with unnecessary stuff so let me know if you want me to delete the photos after you look at them.

bkreutz
04-09-2010, 06:19 PM
You got the whole options sheet, I only got part of it, figured the part that stuck out into the middle got ripped off at some point. I would like to see pictures of the ashtray mounting. It's on my option list, I got an ashtray in the box of parts that came with it, just can't decide where it should go. Oh, leave the pictures, everyone likes pictures:)

Broadstone
04-09-2010, 06:57 PM
That's great to see thanks for the pics! Mine is also red and about 200 vehicles later off the production line.

PavementEnds
04-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Would be fun to know how many of these 1973s are still on the road.

Attached are 3 snaps of the ashtray frame, centered on the lower dash, held on by 4 small screws, with probably v small heads so that the tray does not hang up on larger heads as it opens and closes. I am assuming that this is a bolt-washer-nut assembly since it is still tight after 37 years but have not yet pulled the dash to find out.