PDA

View Full Version : SII transmission swap

Tsmith
04-07-2010, 10:49 AM
I have a 1960 Series II SWB with a failing transmission. I'll rebuild it, but I'd like to stay on the road.

A transmission from an "early IIa" is available and I'll grab it if it will fit. It is complete with the bell housing and the transfer case.

If it fits, I can work on the existing box at without the pressure to get back on the road.

The green bible is at home. Can I tell from photos if it is a direct swap?

Tom Smith

utahseries
04-07-2010, 11:14 AM
I can Imagine it is a direct swap. I just got done putting my tranny back together and it was a pretty hefty bill, even though I ordered all the parts from England.. I don't see any reason it wouldn't bolt right in?

Tim Smith
04-08-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure about the IIA but the III transmission will have a different clutch slave arrangement. If thats the case then you'll just need to get the correct slave cylinder and parts, probably a pressure plate and throwout bearing and of course a bit of plumbing. I *think* the III slave goes through port side while the II goes through the starboard side of the bell housing.

If you can get a look at it, just look at the clutch slave placement. Either way, it wouldn't be tough even if it was different.

rwollschlager
04-08-2010, 09:44 PM
if your going to swap in the transmission, you might as well take the time to rebuild the one you are going to drop in. Or at least pull off the covers and inspect it so that you dont drop in a transmission worse than the one you pulled out. I have just completed a full rebuild on my series III transmission and transfer case and can say that it can be done relativley quickly and easily with the green bible in hand, but the bills do add up fast.

If your set on switching the II with the IIA they should be a direct swap. Look at the clutch mechanism attached to the bellhousing to make sure they are the same. If not you can keep your existing bellhousing and bolt it onto the early IIA box, its only 4 bolts and a gasket.

-Rob

JayGoss
04-08-2010, 10:34 PM
x2 on the direct swap. I just swapped out my Series II box with a rebuilt Series IIa box- bolts right in. I removed the floors and seat box and used an engine hoist with a telescoping arm. You may want to have a buddy available to help you when it comes time to slide the new box into the bellhousing- it helps to have one guy muscling the box while the other guy makes fine adjustments jacking up the motor and lowering the box. As long as the bolts on the floorboards and seat box aren't all rusted in place you can get it in and buttoned up in a day. From what I understand some of the items from the Series II box are NLA, so you might be better off replacing with a IIa box anyway.

J.McKelvey
04-09-2010, 11:18 AM
You should be able to swap it in without and trouble. Just make sure the bolt patron is the same on the bell housing. I know Series ones have a different one so maybe early series 2's may have the same.

The only other problem would be is that the transmission oil filler is on the top on a series 2 tranny instead of the side like on a 2A or 3 .

Tsmith
04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for all the help. I'll have a look at the replacement first thing tomorrow,

Tom Smith

kevkon
05-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Is the SIII trans housing- gearbox the same as the SII? I was wondering if you can rebuild an SII trans with SIII syncros and gears.