PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Question

bear7343
04-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I have a 73 Series III 88" Petrol. Engine rolls over fine but won't spark. I don't seem to be getting spark from the coil. I have replaced the ignition coil, condensor, cap, plug wires and ignition switch already. Still no spark. Any thoughts? I am at a loss.

4flattires
04-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your ignition issue. We'll assume this did run at some time in the recent past.

Are you getting voltage to the coil?

gudjeon
04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I might be stating the obvious, but check how the power wire is hooked up to the points. If I had a nickel for every time I have seen one grounding out due to incorrect fitment...... Not that I have ever done it:rolleyes:

NickDawson
04-10-2010, 07:35 AM
I might be stating the obvious, but check how the power wire is hooked up to the points. If I had a nickel for every time I have seen one grounding out due to incorrect fitment...... Not that I have ever done it:rolleyes:

Yep. Been there and done that.

Terrys
04-10-2010, 08:31 AM
You replaced alot of stuff, but didn't mention points. Are they good? Clean? Making and breaking as they should? They are the source of most all 'lack of spark' issues.

kevkon
04-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Don't overlook the ground wire either!

bear7343
04-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Alright. The update is as follows. Replaced the points, no change yet, however I am going to go back and check the "power wire to the points" as suggested. (I ordered all the little stuff that typically seems to fail as a safe measure and have gone through slowly replacing each part and testing the results - if no change I keep the old part because it may still be good). I'll keep everyone updated.

1961 109 WAGON
04-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Yep. Been there and done that.
me as well

scott
04-10-2010, 08:55 PM
me as well

did it last weekend. and i've done many times

to check clip the gator clip of a test light to the low tension lead on the coil that the one with the wire that goes to the points. turn ign on. touch test light to the wire right where it is connected to the points. with free hand open the points. light should go out.

bear7343
04-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Spent Saturday staring at the truck until I couldn't handle it anymore and then took a much need beer break for six hours..... Got back to it Sunday morning and realized I am an idiot.... points while new, weren't set to the correct gap because I didn't check it... I then checked the timing (which was out) and she is up and running again :thumb-up:.... the engine, not the truck. Clutch next weekend :(.

scott
04-11-2010, 09:16 PM
nothing clears the head like six hours of beer