PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Series II Restoration

TriedStone
04-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Hello my name is James and I'm a roverhaulic. Admission is the first step to recovery right??

Two months ago we began our search for another LR project. I say another since we've been rover less after having sold my 1994 D90 in 06 and my wife's 04 DII in 07. Our quest began after having spotted a snowed in Series while on a ski trip in Colorado. On our return trip home we agreed that it was time to get another rover and this time a series to restore to original condition or as close to it as possible.

The hunt was on. After surfing the net for almost a month I found our 59 on craigslist and purchased it based on a few pic's seen in the add. Risky I know but I believe it paid off. We made arrangements to drive from OKC to Denver and haul it home. And now the fun begins... I hope the restoration is half as good as jac04's lightweight.

Wander
04-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Looks like it's mostly there, how's the frame and bulkhead?

TriedStone
04-11-2010, 08:16 PM
The truck is very complete with only minimal surface rust. Bulkhead and frame are in excellent shape to be original.

A brief history per the PO. The truck was brought to colorado from california in 1973 where he purchased it in 1978. He believes he was the 3rd owner but not for sure. After he purchased it he put it in storage at his parents where it sat for 28 years. About 4 years ago he brought it home with the hopes of restoring it one day. He soon became discouraged because the fuel tank needed to be cleaned out and recently decided to sell it.

The odometer shows 40k, I wouldn't be surprised if its not correct.

I would like to try and get it running before I tear it down so I will know what needs to be addressed.

First on my list is I need to scrounge up a battery, determine wether it is positive or negative earth, rebuild the carburetor and clean the fuel system.

It has compression according to the old hand crank but who knows how much at this point.

siiirhd88
04-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Good looking truck. If it is unaltered from original it should be a positive ground electrical system.

Bob

Wander
04-11-2010, 09:39 PM
If it was changed to neg ground there will be a ground cable from the neg terminal cable to the block, odds are it's positive.

I see the wiper motors are off, do you have them? If not you can't get the originals but there are some aftermarket replacments.

kels
04-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Mate, here in OZ that puppy would pass roadworthy as-is! Well, you would need to replace the side mirrors, but otherwise it looks good-to-go.

That will be a gem of a project vehicle if its half as good as it looks in the pics.

Cant wait to see it come along.

cheers,

Adam

TriedStone
04-12-2010, 05:49 AM
The wiper motors are present and accounted for, one is complete one is in pieces.

TriedStone
04-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Good looking truck. If it is unaltered from original it should be a positive ground electrical system.

Bob
I did not see a specific ground wire from the block to the frame but I will have to look again when I get down to the shop. It would have been easier if they had left the battery in it :)

How do I include pic's in the text in lieu of an attachment?

TriedStone
04-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Engine and ps bulkhead.

NickDawson
04-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Looks like a great project, can't wait to see how it comes along!

bear7343
04-12-2010, 08:07 AM
If it was changed to neg ground there will be a ground cable from the neg terminal cable to the block, odds are it's positive.

I see the wiper motors are off, do you have them? If not you can't get the originals but there are some aftermarket replacments.

My father has a 1960 Series II and it is positive ground. I think this is also easily confirmed by it having a generator in lieu of an alternator. Based off of your pictures it does have a generator, so I say absolutely yes, it's a positive ground.

Jim-ME
04-12-2010, 08:16 AM
I agree that it is positive ground. Very nice Rover by the way.
Jim

TSR53
04-12-2010, 08:24 AM
How do I include pic's in the text in lieu of an attachment?

Welcome to the Rovers North forum, wonderful Series Land Rover find. I sense a Rovers magazine story brewing on this one!

I've got the attachments limited down to three per posting to help keep the database size small. Preferred method for photos is to host them on a different location, like Flickr.com, smugmug, or similar and then just post the links in.

How to post photos in-line rather than attachments.
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2895

Momo
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
That's a very clean, original looking 88. Looks like even the top radiator hose is original. Also, that paint color (mid grey) is pretty rare in the US. I hope you keep it that color, odds are it will be the only mid grey truck in any gathering.

Do a full fluid change, replace hoses and fan belt, clean the carb and go through the ignition, and do a compression check when you get it to fire. The hydraulics are probably shot, but you should be able to sort that out in a weekend. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

TriedStone
04-12-2010, 09:28 PM
That's a very clean, original looking 88. Looks like even the top radiator hose is original. Also, that paint color (mid grey) is pretty rare in the US. I hope you keep it that color, odds are it will be the only mid grey truck in any gathering.

Do a full fluid change, replace hoses and fan belt, clean the carb and go through the ignition, and do a compression check when you get it to fire. The hydraulics are probably shot, but you should be able to sort that out in a weekend. Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Thanks for the compliments everyone, and yes the plan is to keep it mid grey. Chicks dig grey... nice firm butt-ox. Sorry... my wife made me sit though Notting Hill, turned out to be funny for a chick flick.

TriedStone
04-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Well Carbs off and ready for cleaning. Looks like the last guy to have it apart swapped out a few of the screws. Anyone got an old Solex lying around they want to get rid of cheap? I would like to replace the 5 screws with the correct ones.

Wander
04-13-2010, 12:17 AM
That's a nice work bench...but I think I'd move the parts cleaner futher away from the Macbook, at least I know I'd spill some:eek:

TriedStone
04-13-2010, 06:05 AM
That's a nice work bench...but I think I'd move the parts cleaner futher away from the Macbook, at least I know I'd spill some:eek:
thats how i keep the aluminum case looking new :)

Seriously though I was just horsing around with our host site, the pic's weren't as clear as I'd hoped. The MB stays in the office usually.

jac04
04-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Anyone got an old Solex lying around they want to get rid of cheap?
I should have a few that may not be entirely complete. I think that I also have some assorted gaskets around and a Solex rebuild/tuning manual that I would be willing to sell . Let me know if you are interested and I'll get some pictures.

TriedStone
04-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Got the carb clean and ready to assemble. Waiting on a few screws from jac04 (Thanks Again!), but I have plenty to do until they arrive.

On a side note I'm not terribly impressed with the quality of the All Makes rebuild kit (Pic 2). Our host was out of the kits and I had to get it elsewhere. There are a few springs and an oval oring (Pic 3) that I think should have been included but were not. The gaskets were thinner that the old ones I removed... could this have been from them swelling after having been in contact with petrol for so long? I guess its possible. The castings are not the best on the solex so the extra thickness would be nice.

The Diaphragm Pump kit looks good, funny it is made by zenith. I don't know what the relationship between Zenith and Solex is, maybe they just make the kit.

Back to work.

TriedStone
04-18-2010, 05:56 PM
After 5 hrs of power washing yesterday I am please with what I found under the dirt. Or should I say I'm please with what I didn't find... no rust. Only minimal surface rust in some spots, still has a lot of the original paint left on the frame. The bulkhead looks sound as well. This should save a few bucks. So my plan for now is to strip the frame and have it galvanized vs purchasing a new one. Unless I can find one with a tropical top attached to it.:)

TriedStone
04-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Brandy and I got started disassembling for the frame up restoration. So much for getting it running prior to the restoration. My annal side won over, I couldn't only do part of it. Seemed pointless to put it back together just to take it back apart.

Wander
04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
No fair having a fork lift and full shop! -just kidding,;) it's looking good, keep up the momentum.:thumb-up:

scott
04-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Brandy and I got started disassembling for the frame up restoration. So much for getting it running prior to the restoration. My annal side won over, I couldn't only do part of it. Seemed pointless to put it back together just to take it back apart.

why do you have to reassemble to get it running? after finishing my 2.25 rebuild i got annal and started tearing things off to refurbish so the engine didn't look so out of place. once i reinstalled the repaired/repainted bulkhead i dropped the 2.25 back in and drove it for weeks w/o doors, floors or wings. the bonnet was only put back on to help support the breakfast. i reinstalled the doors and wings (w/o painting 'em) only cuz the cooler weather was coming.

gudjeon
04-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Wow! Good shape underneath. So that's what straight cross members look like.:thumb-up:

TriedStone
04-23-2010, 03:17 PM
why do you have to reassemble to get it running? after finishing my 2.25 rebuild i got annal and started tearing things off to refurbish so the engine didn't look so out of place. once i reinstalled the repaired/repainted bulkhead i dropped the 2.25 back in and drove it for weeks w/o doors, floors or wings. the bonnet was only put back on to help support the breakfast. i reinstalled the doors and wings (w/o painting 'em) only cuz the cooler weather was coming.
Just didn't want to put the fuel system (tank, lines, carb, pump) back in just to take it back out to do the restoration.

TriedStone
05-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Organization has been the topic for this past week.

You know... a rover takes up a lot more space when its in pieces.:)

So I found some used pallet racks locally that are going to house the rover as it continues to be disassembled. Brandy has been bring boxes home from work to help keep the bits and pieces organized. I am going to do my best to keep everything together and to make only one trip to the galvanizers which is about 1 1/2 hrs away. I also want to try and make one trip to the platers for all the zinc stuff. They have a $75 minimum and I would hate to forget one little part and have to pay the minimum for one piece.

I've been trying to group all the bolts by area in ziplock bags. So far this seems to be working.

Anyone have any good suggestions for organizing?

4flattires
05-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Plastic organization totes, when on sale at the home improvement centers, or Target, etc are great for grouping things together. Buying all the same size makes stacking a breeze. Plus....you can donate them to the wife and make her happy for holiday packing items once you are done.

Bag n tag. Sounds like that is what you are doing. Copious notes stuck in the bag-o-bolts saves a lot of guesswork months (years) down the road.

TriedStone
05-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Copious notes stuck in the bag-o-bolts saves a lot of guesswork months (years) down the road.

YEARS!!!!:eek: Oh I hope it doesn't take years. Although my wife has become accustom to doubling what ever time I give her. So if it should take 9mos it will probably take 18.:)

thixon
05-08-2010, 07:31 PM
YEARS!!!!:eek: Oh I hope it doesn't take years. Although my wife has become accustom to doubling what ever time I give her. So if it should take 9mos it will probably take 18.:)

Are you sure we aren't married to the same woman?:D

TriedStone
05-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Are you sure we aren't married to the same woman?:D
As my wife is reading over my shoulder and laughing she says "look he's even got Dr. Evil, thats scary"... I think you have to have a twisted Austin Powers sense of humor to enjoy working on rovers. She doesn't get it.

TriedStone
05-10-2010, 09:55 PM
This is probably a stupid question but can anyone tell me what belongs in this hole in my dash? I believe its right below the ?horn? button. Was it originally the turn signal switch? It looks like someone got creative wiring the turn signal switch on the column.

Thanks In Advance...

onecross
05-11-2010, 01:41 AM
This is probably a stupid question but can anyone tell me what belongs in this hole in my dash? I believe its right below the ?horn? button. Was it originally the turn signal switch? It looks like someone got creative wiring the turn signal switch on the column.

Thanks In Advance...

You are correct, that is the original location for the turn signal... at first i thought i was going to hate having to hold the switch when turning but i got used to it. Enjoy your build!

-Mat

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/onecross/landrover/DSC00485.jpg
this is the best picture of the unit i had on my computer.

TriedStone
05-11-2010, 04:08 AM
[QUOTE=onecross;51258]You are correct, that is the original location for the turn signal... at first i thought i was going to hate having to hold the switch when turning but i got used to it. Enjoy your build!

-Mat

Thanks Mat! DFW, I think you are the closest person to me I've seen on here. Still 3hrs from OKC.