PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please: swivel ball gaiters

thixon
04-12-2010, 08:08 AM
I've get 'em, but floundering on deciding whether or not to install. While it seems they would protect the swivels, it also seems they might trap moisture and crud, and cause corrosion to happen quicker. Mine are the leather type BTW. Any feedback?

Jim-ME
04-12-2010, 08:15 AM
I do not use them because from what I've read they have a greater potential to do more harm than good.
Jim

TedW
04-12-2010, 08:34 AM
IIRC they were designed for the British Army.

They completely seal the balls from the outside - there is no way for anything to get in, if installed correctly. I've checked underneath them and nothing comes out but a little 90wt.

Just my HO.

CMorris
04-12-2010, 08:45 AM
They work. I've attached a photo of the front Salisbury I just purchased that I'm pretty sure sat in a swamp somewhere in England for 10 years before ending up in my shop.........the difference between the exterior condition of the axle v swivels is a pretty good argument for gaiters.

NickDawson
04-12-2010, 08:56 AM
I've got 'em on mine and pulled one back for an inspection recently. To my novice eye, the swivels look in great shape.
The gators themselves are soaked with oil, no doubt from the various leaks under the truck, which seems to serve as an added protection.

JackIIA
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I agree with CMorris. Same deal on my truck. I think they made the difference between ruined swivels and the perfectly chromed ones I found underneath the old nasty gators. I had to blast down the axles to clean them up.

TeriAnn
04-12-2010, 12:01 PM
With the leather gators I think the answer depends upon where you live and drive.

Oil soaked leather gators are water resistant but the seam is not water proof. So wading can trap water and resulting high humidity inside. They are great for dry desert to keep sharp sand particles from abrading the edges of the oil seal and they seem to work on salted roads to keep the salt off during the winter. If I lived in such a place, I think I would have them on during the winter and unlace them so air can get in during the summer months.

Over the years I have heard a lot of stories of people who had gators on for years & found badly pitted balls and lots of moisture inside. I had them on my truck for about 5 years and checked them every once and a while. Each time there was a lot of moisture trapped inside on the balls. I got worried about the moisture trapped inside my oiled leather gators and took them off. I've gone without since then.

I have no experience with the new rubber style.

greenmeanie
04-12-2010, 12:15 PM
The trick with the leather gaiters is that the laced joint should be in the 6 o-clock position i.e. pointing straight down. Water that gets through the laced joint can then get back out. Its a shield and not a hermetic seal.

Obviously any deep mud work or other such activity that can force muck inside would merit opening the gaiter up and cleaning inside as part of your post use maintenance.

jac04
04-12-2010, 02:23 PM
The trick with the leather gaiters is that the laced joint should be in the 6 o-clock position i.e. pointing straight down.
That's the way I have always installed mine, for the reason stated. However, I believe that the fitting instructions show the laced seam at the top (12 o'clock).

leafsprung
04-12-2010, 02:35 PM
they are ok for general use bad for use in mud/water. Silt will build up in the bottom

kels
04-13-2010, 01:08 AM
I have them on mine, seam down - they work well in my opinion. When I check the oil levels under the car I undo them and make sure there is no crud - 3 years, so far so good. If you drive through deep mud or what-not you need to undo them to clean it out afterwards - just basic maintenance.

Cheers,

Adam

JimCT
04-13-2010, 05:10 AM
I believe they were designed to protect the surface from rocks, not rust.

amcordo
04-13-2010, 09:32 AM
I think they were also designed to keep sand and other small abrasives out. Sand in a tight moving area like that would grind the whole thing apart. Anyway, I've got them and have cleaned them out once. Nothing too bad. I'd say go for it - just don't forget you need to open it up and clean it out periodically. The real danger from them is "if you don't see it's not there' syndrom.

Les Parker
04-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Also there is a need to keep them supple. A good use for the petroleum jelly.:thumb-up:

109 Pretender
04-13-2010, 12:10 PM
I agree w/ Ike and Meanie in that they aren't good if you go mudding a lot. As mentioned, the laces in the 6:00 position will let out anything that gets in through that opening - otherwise the leather seals well and will far outlast the new rubber type. I mean - when's the last time you heard a cow complain that his "suit" was worn out! Lastly - and MOST important - do what Les said - lube 'em up w/petroleum jelly. Mine are 20+ years old and still function as new and my balls are still shiny w/ no pits! Hum, that didn't sound quite right...;)

If you really want to make them last get the balls hard chrome plated (they must be in near perfect condition beforehand). It's the combination of the rubber oil seal and road dirt that wears the sealing surface and the seal will trap moisture/dirt which causes the corrosion to begin with. Hard chrome will eliminate wear and corrosion so you can wear your gaiters with pride! Kinda like a kilt I imagine...:D

Cheers!