• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gallf1
    Low Range
    • Jan 2008

Synthetic oil in T-case

Hi:
    I am running synthetic oil in my Ashcroft high-ratio t-case. It has developed a slow seeping leak around the intermediate shaft area which I am attributing to the o-ring.
    Before I pull it out and replace it, does anyone know if the o-rings are not compatible with synthetics?

Also, should I smear some Hylomar around the shaft and o-ring before I re-install for alittle extra insurance?

Thx!
  • TedW
    5th Gear
    • Feb 2007

Synthetics are prone to creepage / seepage to a much greater degree than are dino hypoids. Good seals are key (to state the obvious).

I've used synthetics for almost 20 years; my truck doesn't seem to leak any worse than any others I've seen, and is better than many.

Comment

• alaskajosh
      2nd Gear
      • Sep 2007

This might open a can of worms but I understand that Ashcroft's warranty doesn't allow use of synthetics.

Kind regards, Josh

Comment

• gallf1
        Low Range
        • Jan 2008

Hi Josh:
        Not sure where you got that info....it is not in their warranty statement. They do recommend specific oil types for the automatic transmissions but not for the High Ratio T-case (which is what I have).
        Thx

Comment

• alaskajosh
          2nd Gear
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by gallf1
          Hi Josh:
          Not sure where you got that info....it is not in their warranty statement. They do recommend specific oil types for the automatic transmissions but not for the High Ratio T-case (which is what I have).
          Thx
          Well I admit that it is hearsay... though it was said by RN (and I don't remember the name I spoke to). It goes along with the whole "yellow metals" debate. I put Amsoil in my T case despite that and other doomsayers. I'm not worried about it but couldn't escape the irony of a RN rep stating that syn where not safe with yellow metals (citing, for one thing, the ashcroft case) but they sell and recommend Amsoil for Series gear boxes.

Kind regards, Josh

Comment

Working...