PDA

View Full Version : Running like poop.

msggunny
04-12-2010, 06:33 PM
So other than letting the gas sit over the winter with out stabilizer in it what other causes could there be for my series to just decide to stop running well?

Im hopeing its the gas, checked and adjusted the valves, put new gas in.

Any ideas?

yorker
04-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Which carb do you have?

msggunny
04-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Weber 32 36

martindktm
04-12-2010, 08:17 PM
points...could make it run bad. Mine sits outside all winter from november to april with no sta-bill or stuff and always start. Then I go fill it with fresh stuff and its all good.

msggunny
04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
points...could make it run bad. Mine sits outside all winter from november to april with no sta-bill or stuff and always start. Then I go fill it with fresh stuff and its all good.

Running an Petronix electric ignition setup.

Thanks though

greenmeanie
04-12-2010, 10:39 PM
All the usual things that get to a car if left sitting in the cold and damp. Pull the dizzy cap and remove any moisture, a bit of WD40 on the leads. Crank her over with the coil lead removed to build oil pressure before start.
Clean the grounds to remove any corrosion.
Pull the top off the carb to check for any crud or varnish from fuel sitting there over the winter.
Check the battery is fully charged and you contacts are good.

yorker
04-13-2010, 06:41 AM
The E10 gasoline with 10% ethanol can go to hell in a surprisingly short time...

bear7343
04-13-2010, 07:45 AM
I would check the timing, it shouldn't have gone out but if it did, you would have almost no throttle response and it would generally run like hell. You could also check your vaccum advance equipment (i am assuming an electronic ignition has one - I have no idea).

msggunny
04-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Fixed it,

Replaced the spark plugs.
New gas.
Can of seafoam.
Double checked the timing.

Runs like a champ.

jgkmmoore
04-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Since it's almost the easiest thing to do anyway, always start with looking at the plugs first after an engine has sat(especially in an unheated area) for more than 2-3 months. Champs self destruct all by themselves. Engines sweat whenever there is a large temp change in a short time period, and the rust will build at the electrodes first. They also fail from lack of use...just sitting there. Wires do same with less frequency. Dizzy sweats on the inside, and from the crankcase vapors, and top gets wet...happens even to daily drivers in high humidity conditions. WD40 should be in your cubby.
Seems the whole country is now 10% ethanol....Washington got it a few months back. That stuff seems to crap out fast, and gum up fast. Be sure to treat it if you're gonna leave it for more than 30 days. Landys will drink almost anything but varnish. Don't use the dryer/alcohol products tho.
Keep on.........:thumb-up:
Jeff

jgkmmoore
04-19-2010, 02:23 AM
BTW- SEAFOAM rocks, and is a great stabilizer.I've been using it since the 50's for everything I own.
I would dump it on my Cheerios if it tasted better. That, and Lucas Power Steering sealer, are the best 'snake oils' ever! I use no other (aside from having Techron in my Chevron gas). I don't have to tear any of my engines apart. ALL high milers.:D