PDA

View Full Version : Dash defroster hose coverplate

4flattires
04-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I am fabbing this missing plate up from 18g alu for my SIIa. The 15" wide dimension and rounded edge is pretty straightforward.

Does the forwardmost edge utilize a straight cut from L to R, or is there a small notch that allows it to surround that center bulkhead bulge between the vents?

siiirhd88
04-13-2010, 10:10 PM
The one in the wife's SIIA 109 has a round cornered V shaped cutout in the middle to clear the wiring. The opening in the V is about the same width as the bump on the center pillar.

Bob

greenmeanie
04-14-2010, 12:43 AM
I just checked the one in my 88 and it is just a plain straight edge stopping about 3/8 inch in from the bulkhead.

4flattires
04-14-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm definitely no rivet counter, but do want to take the time to make it correctly. I saw no evidence of this part in the Q section of the big green book. My bulkhead has not been removed, but that does not mean this part did not get pulled at some point. Since I have seen pics of this part both on and off in others vehicles, I am somewhat confused now if it might be an accessory made by varying manufacturers. :confused:

Hopefully others will have some guidance.

TedW
04-14-2010, 08:27 AM
I have an extra one I could send you to use as a template, but I'll want it back at some point. It has a few lil' bends in it (was in a rollover) but you can figure it out. You can PM me.

This piece is listed in the NADA supplementary parts guide. I'll copy the page tomorrow and send it to you.

4flattires
04-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks Ted, I'll not need the actual piece, any dimensions you could offer would be perfect. The 15" width was from the visual aspect of seeing the cover match the width of the dash gauges plate. I'll use the 3/8" gap measurement from Greenmeanie. I've perfected the rolling of sheetmetal by using my vice jaws (with soft covers) set to the appropriate width, and a deep socket of my size choice to make the radius. That, and a well chosen hammer forms a perfect radius that is consistent.

Supplementary parts book eh? Interesting.

Thanks for the scan, that'l help!