PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Temperature

Jim-ME
04-15-2010, 07:58 AM
I have been wondering how hot is too hot for a 2.5 NAD. I'm currently running a 190 degree thermostat and so far the temp does not go above 180 unless it's parked and then it hits 190. Once I start the engine up again it drops back to 180+/-. Should I swap to a cooler thermostat for the summer or run it and see what happens. Living in Maine I don't get many if any 90+ degree days and thankfully don't have to deal with traffic jams so stop and go is very limited. Do diesels prefer cooler or warmer operating temps? FWIW I did not have my oil cooler reinstalled with the engine swap and use 15W-40 Shell Rotella T plus Lucas HD oil stabilizer. I'm not sure the oil stabilizer does any real good but I figure it can't hurt. I hope.
Jim

bpj911
04-15-2010, 04:33 PM
I personally think the hotter the better within reason. I would stay with 190. That's what's in mine and it runs much better hot.

Jim-ME
04-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks That's one less thing I need to do.
Jim

bpj911
04-15-2010, 07:52 PM
I switched to 5W40 synthetic Mobil diesel oil and noticed some improvement on cold morning starting as well as quicker oil pressure. i doubt it matters that much but it is noticeable. FWIW mine is a 2.25 diesel.

Donnie
04-16-2010, 09:15 PM
I have been wondering how hot is too hot for a 2.5 NAD. I'm currently running a 190 degree thermostat and so far the temp does not go above 180 unless it's parked and then it hits 190. Once I start the engine up again it drops back to 180+/-. Should I swap to a cooler thermostat for the summer or run it and see what happens. Living in Maine I don't get many if any 90+ degree days and thankfully don't have to deal with traffic jams so stop and go is very limited. Do diesels prefer cooler or warmer operating temps? FWIW I did not have my oil cooler reinstalled with the engine swap and use 15W-40 Shell Rotella T plus Lucas HD oil stabilizer. I'm not sure the oil stabilizer does any real good but I figure it can't hurt. I hope.
Jim
Diesels run better when hot, remember the fuel is lit off by heat, the high compression & the warm engine will make your engine run better and work less..I use the same Rotella oel in all my diesels, both dino fuel & WVO.....190 is good............Donnie