PDA

View Full Version : questions on a install on a salsbury axle

glbft1
04-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Greetings,
Going to do a Salsbury rear axle upgrade and wanted to know if this a direct bolt in deal or am I going to need a whole bunch of bits and pieces, going into a ex mil 109.
Brgs
Greg

siiirhd88
04-18-2010, 11:41 AM
On a 109 it should be a direct bolt in. You will need the matching driveshaft which is shorter than the standard one, and you might need a longer rubber brake hose if using the extended spring hangars on the military chassis.

Bob

TeriAnn
04-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Greetings,
Going to do a Salsbury rear axle upgrade and wanted to know if this a direct bolt in deal or am I going to need a whole bunch of bits and pieces, going into a ex mil 109.
Brgs
Greg

The Salisbury was standard fitment to Series III 109's so as long as the suspension stays the same you just need to either source a stock SIII 109 rear prop shaft or take yours to a shop and have it shortened and rebalanced.

If your U bolts have been on for a while chances are some of the nuts are seized so you might want to source a set of rear U bolts & nuts. Your rubber hydraulic hoses are supposed to be replaced every 2 years so if it has been a while, you might want to pick up all four. Since you will need to refill the brake lines & bleed you might as well do the 2 front brake hoses while you are at it. And the clutch hose just because it is easier to remember to replace all the hoses at once. Did I mention that I have a bad case of ship fitters disease?

A lot depends upon how old your suspension bits are. Rubber shock bushings have a tendency to wear over time & your shocks might be tired. I better stop before I have you rebuilding the engine as a logical extension of the rear axle assembly swap. :)